Author Topic: Short Black locust stave  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Fox

Short Black locust stave
« on: May 02, 2020, 09:29:54 pm »
Heya, so i have a 57" black locust stave which is the longest peace Ive been able to get my hands on. Anyway id like it to be in the 55# -60#  and my draw is 26", is this possible? Thanks.

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Short Black locust stave
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:32:09 pm »
yes it's possible, i'd make it bend through the handle and be willing to settle for a lower draw weight as while it's doable you are still asking a lot out of your stave

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 09:33:29 pm »
okay i can go with lower draw weight...  whadya think about 45#?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:43:47 pm by Fox »

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 09:43:05 pm »
a stave that long will do 55-60# at 26" (depending on the stave) i would start working towards your target weight and if it is taking more set than you would like lower your target goal.

i forgot to add in my first post, general rule of thumb for draw length limit is, draw length x2 plus 10" for a bendy handle you can go shorter but it's still a good rule to stick to.

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 10:40:28 pm »
Okay will do. How wide should it be ? And should i flip the tips / recurve it to help with string pinch or is string pinch not a concern at that langth.. and of course it would speed it up, Or will that add to much stress? And should it be reflexed at all for set? Sorry so many questions... also i learned today not to leave a bow sitting on two rocks heat treating over coals.... it might randomly fall off and be turned into a extra charming peace of charcoal...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 12:20:09 am by Fox »

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 01:28:55 pm »
Trap the back, and tiller will have to be spot on to prevent belly frets. Chase a good ring also, and don't flip the tips. Just a mild reflex. Black Locust will test your bow building skills, but makes a good bow.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 10:07:20 pm »
listen to bassman and anyone else who comes along with some experience with black locust, i haven't built a bow with it, and i'm just a guy who bends sticks i'm not the best for really technical questions  O:) 

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 01:20:10 am »
Trap the back, and tiller will have to be spot on to prevent belly frets. Chase a good ring also, and don't flip the tips. Just a mild reflex. Black Locust will test your bow building skills, but makes a good bow.

+1
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline M2A

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 07:07:10 am »
If I were to lay out a piece like that with the specs you are after....1.5" wide in the middle 20" then a taper to .75" nocks. You may be able to narrow it up a small amount later.I would error on the side of too wide to start off.  Kinda like Bassman says, you gonna need to bring your "A" game to tiller. I think you could get 55 lb. Good luck on the build.
Mike         

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 11:28:06 am »
Thanks a bunch guys ..... also bit off topic but how hot does a hotbox/ tube need to be for drying wood faster? I cant get mine much above 90... thanks

-fox