Author Topic: Horn crossbow?  (Read 14652 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Horn crossbow?
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:06:23 am »
Thinking of making a water buffalo cross bow. Suggestions and pics of some good ones please. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Horn crossbow?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 08:31:48 am »
Sounds like a worth while adventure.Short draw/lots of early draw weight,but that might be the achillese heel as horn bows shine brighter with more extended draw.
All horn and sinew??? or to keep it more stable a thick core of wood but with enough composite material to handle the stress?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:34:50 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 09:11:32 am »
All about 30” in length.  I was thinking all Horn but I know nothing about it. Arvin

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:14:24 am »
Need a bit more info. really, are you thinking of an asian style composite bow sized to fit cross-bow dimensions, or, were you thinking of going all medieval composite bow? Can't really beat the work a A.Bichler on Historia Vivens 1300.  Wish I could, keep on trying but he's so much better than I am, will get there one day...............

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 09:15:56 am »
Seems to me that medieval ones used both types of construction and many pieces of horn to build up the thickness needed.
Look up medieval horn crossbows and see what you find

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 09:25:40 am »
Hey now that I have a new Phone I can post pics!!!! Here is some I have built as of late. Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 09:32:44 am »
Guys I don’t know what those look like . Maybe the limbs would be all horn mounted on to a deflexed wood cross and rail. Show the country boy some options.  Arvin

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 09:41:44 am »
OK, so, medieval crossbows were all about raw power and never mind the efficiency, they used a brick-wall type structure of very narrow horn slats laid flat and built up as a wall thereby avoiding the horn delaminating - a 10mm thick strip of horn will de-laminate very quickly if you try and bend it very far.  A 10mm thick horn structure with a 10mm thick layer of sinew is good for 250lb but cutting all those horn strips, straightening them, grooving them, gluing them together and then shredding all that sinew and laying it on and then leaving it for 12 to 24 months to cure is a lot of work.  Trust me I know.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 09:49:18 am »
Golly Stuck why don’t you blow my bubble a bit faster next time. You must know my patience limits!😳
Can you just use the thickness of the horn? Arvin
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:53:49 am by Selfbowman »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 09:55:09 am »

Send me all that horn and I'll build it for you  >:D

This is one by Andreas Bichler, the bow tiller is lovely and simple, all wood construction, push-pin firing mechanism. Sweet.  I can't think of a reason an Asian style crossbow wouldn't work, just because no-pne ever did it, doesn't mean it wouldn't work.  Efficiency instead of power, 150 lbs wouldn't be an unreasonable draw weight. Would be a fun project

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 10:06:33 am »
As far as using the thickness of the horn, I don't think so.  Buffalo horn de-laminates really easily, I've taken to splitting mine down to size instead of sawing it.  Big-horn sheep hprns make good bpws, there's a few in the horn-bows section.  It may be that my horns are weaker than many and someone can chime in with a more definitive answer but I think you run a big risk of pulling a buffalo horn bow to brace and having it pull itself apart.  Never made one that way, never seen one made that way, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, I just haven't come across one yet.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 10:14:49 am »
Here is what I was thinking. I hope the project would turn out better than I draw!  Arvin

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 02:07:54 pm »
Pretty innovative design Arvin.That could very possibly work quite well.Don't know exactly how high of poundage a person could get.A half inch thick limb would be quite a bit IMO though.I'd be leaning to use gemsbok horn possibly.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 02:29:24 pm »
I think I would reflex it rather than deflex to get the sinew working (you are planning on using sinew?)

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 03:35:37 pm »
Horn by itself will shoot...but not very well!
I don't know why you think buffalo horn delaminates? Sure you can get pieces with checks in that go further than you can see but solid, well dried material is absolutely bombproof.