Author Topic: Reducing tool weight.  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Reducing tool weight.
« on: May 17, 2020, 03:50:03 am »
Sorry for posting this in bows but i hope for a quick reaction because its from Facebook marketplace. I Saw a tree felling axe for 15 euro from the brand Stanley, It weights 1200 grams but i find that a bit heavy for the Trees i cut. Is It possible to reduce some weight without ending up with a handle and a axe head with An oversized hole in It?

Offline Hamish

Re: Reducing tool weight.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 05:23:40 am »
If you look around online you should be able to find different sized and weighted axes. They might cost a bit more though.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 05:29:37 am »
Yeah i know but i have a really limited budget and in looking on online second hand websites for a few weeks and only large axes or splitting axes are sold.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 07:00:59 am »
A pruning saw is another option.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 07:50:37 am »
How about a small camp axe or hatchet which also comes in  handy for roughing out a bow ? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 07:51:29 am »
@pat b, that's what i use most of time but when the diamewter gets Bigger then 10 inch An axe can come in handy, also for splitting Them. Maybe reducing some too but i like It to be easy portable

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 08:04:04 am »
As axes go that is pretty light, about 2 1/2 pounds, we call these hand axes or hatchets.

I weighed a couple of mine; The one on the left weighs 900 grams, the one on the right weighs 1100 grams.

Hefting both of them I see your point as the one on the left is a bit heavy as hatchets go.

Here in the states we have a bunch of places to buy tools, all the cheap stuff is made in china. I may have paid $5 for the small hatchett, it isn't the best but it does what I want it to do which is start belly splits on osage logs.

At Harbor Freight, a very common tool store in the US, this hatchett sells for the equivalent of 12 euros, it weighs 680 grams. Perhaps you have places that sell cheap chinese tools as well.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 08:09:07 am »
I don't think any of the above hand axes would be suitable to cut a 10" tree.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 09:16:48 am »
for that size of tree you might just have to get used to the weight  :-\
if you really want something in-between sizes and can't shell out the cash for one manufacturers who make said sizes you could either get a heavy end hatchet and re-hang it on a longer handle or get a cheap felling ax and grind on the top and bottom of the profile to reduce weight. it might end up looking goofy but as long as you are careful it shouldn't weaken the eye. 

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 11:11:11 am »
I've dropped hundreds of trees in the last 45 years and an axe would not be my choice for the job. A large bow saw would be faster in most cases. It seems you can't spring for a  chainsaw, which is the fastest, though you might inventory friends to see if one has a saw and might cut the tree for you.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 01:40:38 pm »
Yeah i know its better but i think i also Just like swinging razor Sharp wedges onto trees (lol) )W(

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 02:13:37 pm »
 )P(
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine