Author Topic: 2 Quivers...  (Read 13870 times)

Offline adb

Re: 2 Quivers...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 06:59:31 pm »
That Plains style quiver is killer!! Nice job.

Offline Staver

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 10:47:15 pm »
Thanks adb3112 and Akbowman.  Akbowman, That's a nice looking birch bark quiver you have in the making 8).  Funny enough, I really wanted to build one of those first, but I couldn't find any good resources on how to get started.  I am definitely not an expert on quivers so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to give you advice. ;D  However, I found that functionality kinda drove the process of building the quivers.  I found myself kinda stumped as I was going along and realized I wanted to keep things simple, but try to make em look good too.

If it were my birch bark quiver I think I would finish up the top with some smaller strands of birch bark and wind them around the top like the badger quiver and then use either a leather or plant fiber strap to sling over the shoulder.  As for copying my quiver... I copied the designs from other quivers so all's fair game.  Do what ever pleases you. :)   You know after looking at your quiver over and over, it might look cool with some animal skin with hair included stiched onto the bark in the same "X" design.  Hair/fur might keep it more quiet too and extend the length of your quiver a little.  Good luck with it. ;)

You'll have to post it when you finish it up!  I'd like to see it. ;D  Joe H

Offline Little John

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 09:39:13 am »
Beautiful quivers, lots of work goes into those things.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline akbowman

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 04:08:54 pm »
Thanks for the advice Staver. I had never messed with birch bark before i did this, I had in mind to leave the outer bark on the outside so it looked more like the tree, but i was amazed at what birch bark does when it gets wet and decided that i liked it inside out the best. If you get a piece of BB about the size that you think will work for a quiver, just put under some warm water in the shower, and it will rapidly curl up, then just take some clothes pins and get it to the shape you want and let it dry for a couple hours and it will hold its shape. At least thats how it worked for me, may be different with different speicies of birch.

Another thing that i found that i thought was really cool was, i had about a 5 inch by 8-10" piece of bark that was left over, that curled up into about  a 2 inch diameter circle. It works perfect for an armgaurd, you just roll it around your arm and because it wants to stay curled it is pretty darn tight, dont need to tie it on or anything. I like it much better than any store bought armgaurd that ive had and its free.

Thanks again for the advice.

bushytail

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 10:20:55 pm »
Those quivers are pretty nice.The badger gave me a good idea for a skunk hide quiver.Thanks! :)

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 11:36:20 pm »
if ya got the overwhelming need to give the badger one away, i'll take it!! ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 07:06:13 am »

really nice!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Cromm

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 06:58:25 pm »
Hi, I've always liked the plains style quiver. This is my new one for this year!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 09:49:30 am »
I saw your badger skin quiver and thought it looked familiar by design. It turned out very nice. The article Apr/May '07 by Steve Sell was excellent. I deviated from the plans a little because my badger hide was rather large for the basic tube and found a raccoon hide in my stash that made a better fit. I've also got a skunk to use  for a youth version of this quiver. I posted in the HOW-TO section where a I remembered seeing a thread about the article. Tracy

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3287.0.html
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Dingleberry

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 02:06:54 pm »
Great quivers. :)  Thanks for sharing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 11:56:14 am »
After buying and building quivers looking for the most comfortabe for hunting, I finally picked this one. I got this quiver from Bobby Ratcliff, he used to frequent this site. It is very versatile. It can be worn as a stalker, over the shoulder or down the center of the back. It is light and by far my favorite.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Cromm

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 05:57:51 pm »
Hi Mullet, Man thats a great looking quiver!!!! I like alot!!!!!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.