Author Topic: Black haw bow to be... maybe  (Read 868 times)

Offline Fox

Black haw bow to be... maybe
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:26:56 pm »
Ive got tons of black haw on my property, Ive made some arrows from it and there pretty great shafts but i want to try it for a bow and finally found a piece that could maybe work its  got a pretty cool  snaky/ prop thing goin on but anway just cut it the other day and peeled the bark ruffed it out and sealed the back and ends... its only 1 1/4" wide and 65" long not sure if that's wide enough, also i am not sure i can get the pith out without  going to deep before tillering... will it check in the pith? should i go deeper and get it out?  any suggestions would be great if any of you have worked with black haw before.. Thanks

-Fox94059 by spyjake9, on Flickr

94063 by spyjake9, on Flickr

94064 by spyjake9, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Black haw bow to be... maybe
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:34:39 pm »
I haven’t worked with black haw before but I wouldn’t be worried about the pith, I’ve built some honeysuckle bows in the past that I have pith running all the way up the limbs and under the handle never had a problem.

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 12:44:21 pm »
I haven’t worked with black haw before but I wouldn’t be worried about the pith, I’ve built some honeysuckle bows in the past that I have pith running all the way up the limbs and under the handle never had a problem.

Alright thanks

Offline M2A

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 07:58:01 pm »
Made one. I was able to thin limbs below the pith, didnt have any problems with the handle splitting either. if I recall I used wood glue on the fades as insurance while drying. You may want to put a thin line of glue down the pith and dry slow. I think a high crown is best but you kinda have to work with what it gives you. At 1.25 width you may consider a bend through the handle design. SG on piece I used was in the mid 70's. Nice wood to work with providing it dont have too much character:) Good Luck!
Mike           

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 11:07:39 pm »
Made one. I was able to thin limbs below the pith, didnt have any problems with the handle splitting either. if I recall I used wood glue on the fades as insurance while drying. You may want to put a thin line of glue down the pith and dry slow. I think a high crown is best but you kinda have to work with what it gives you. At 1.25 width you may consider a bend through the handle design. SG on piece I used was in the mid 70's. Nice wood to work with providing it dont have too much character:) Good Luck!
Mike           

Okay thanks Mike, i was thinking about the bendy handle aswell.. probly what ill end up doing...