Author Topic: hunting in wet/humid conditions  (Read 4630 times)

kdub

hunting in wet/humid conditions
« on: April 25, 2008, 09:56:00 am »
Im planning on Hog huntin this wkend but the humidity will be 75% and chance of precip. will be 60% so Ive been debating on whether to bring my longbow as planned, or to sin and hunt with my pearson recurve.  Will wrapping my bow in seran wrap protect it from the humidity?  Ill have to test how well it shoots today.   It might be  better to hunt with the recurve, itll prob. hold up against moisture better, having fiber glass and all, but then il be hesitant to post any pics if I get something, since this is a primitive forum. Pray for dry weather for me from at least 500am-1000am sun morn.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hunting in wet/humid conditions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 10:59:10 am »
If you sealed your bow well with a good finish a bit of humidity and/or rain shouldn't hurt it while hunting. When the hunt is over, unbrace the bow as soon as practical. wipe it down with a dry cloth and store it in a dry place(as dry as you can find in hunting camp). I live in the humid south and have hunted during horrendous rain storms without noticeable adverse effects to my bow.
   Wrapping in saran wrap might have more adverse effects than good ones. You could be holding moisture around the wood. You are better off letting it breath.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

kdub

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:47:59 am »
thanks that makes sense.   I put a coat of tru oil on it yesterday, maybe another one would be good.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 06:58:36 pm »
yeah the humidity isnt good for a bow, let alone when your tryin to keep the scent of yourself down. but i as im sure some others here would say, i would not think of you as any less of a trad. or primitive hunter if ya got a hog with a FG recurve. gotta start somewhere. im sure most here wouldnt care.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 12:48:35 am »
Like Pat said. Ifn its sealed good dont worry about the humidity er rain.....................bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 02:07:22 am »
I live in the desert so when it rains it really comes down.  It just so happens that monsoons can hit right at hunting season. I do like Pat and Bob said. Make sure its sealed good and hunt with it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 03:24:15 am »
Most of my hunting with a bow is actually fishing....I love shooting carp.  My fishing set is designed for exposure to water.

My point?  Use equipment that suits the conditions.  Don't "force" your equipment to perform.  Use the FG bow if it works better in the rain.  Like Trapper, I won't consider you less primitive for doing so.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

perry

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 10:00:36 am »
I live in a high humidity area ,I  apply 3 - 4 coats of a good penatrating finish of equal parts of full gloss polyerathane , gum turpentine and linseed oil rubbed in with finer and finer grades of wet and dry sandpaper starting with 180 grit and finishing with 2 - 3 coats of a 50 / 50 mix of polyerathane and gum turpentine rubbed in with up to 800 grit wet and dry . Then rub back to a satin or matt finish with 0000 steel wool .

I have had good results with homemade varnish - just dissolve some pine sap in enough gum turps to cover it , strain out the lumps through a paper coffee filter and rub in as above 6 -8 coats as its quite a thin mix . Needs to be applied 2 -3 times a year and waxed regular . Messy aswell so don't do it in the lounge room - No sense of humour some women

I then really annoy my wife and melt a handfull of bee's wax in a pet food can on the kitchen stove blend together a tablespoon of gum turpentine and linseed oil . Now she gets really cranky I place a 4 -6  table spoons of this mix onto an 8" piece of old tea towell or similar rub it in until it sets then put in in the microwave and reheat slightly and work any remaining wax into the cloth . Carry this in your quiver - just rub the cloth over your bow a couple of times a day when in the rain

regards Perry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 11:04:42 am »
Perry, I make varnish with pitch and alcohol and use it on primitive arrows and to seal sinew wraps but have never tried turpentine. Does it take long to dry after application?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 01:30:24 pm »
 Rains up here in southeast alaska all the time.Seal her up good with the finish of your choice and when you go hunting,rub her down with car wax,really ! Every morning when you get up,give it a waxing,it's about the best and cheapest thing to do. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

perry

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 04:54:29 am »
Pat , it usually takes a thin coat a 1/2 to 1 hour to tack off  . It does not work so well with mineral turps but with gum turps it seems to work pretty well . I have not used alcohol to make varnish , I am intrigued - would it work better than the gum turps . Should I try the alcohol [ I do try it regular - but I mean with the pine sap ] my Dad brews from his still or methalated spirits .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 10:19:46 am »
I like the alcohol because of its fast evaporation rate. I also cook my pitch a bit first to release the volatile oils first giving the resin a harder consistency. I think the idea came from an article in PA years ago.  I'll try the gum turps if I can find some.    Pat