Author Topic: Birch bows/results  (Read 2837 times)

Offline darinputman

Re: Birch bows/results
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 06:23:00 pm »
110 fps plus bow weight, good job bassman. I'd say you got a lot out of that wood.

Offline Will B

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 06:26:58 pm »
Those bows look really nice Bob!  You have been busy!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 12:53:02 am »
Beautiful bows there!
Never thought on birch as bow wood. You make me hungry, I will cut some next winter and see what I get. Would like to know the exact species (lat. name).
Again, you did an awesome job!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline BAfromPA

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 03:12:03 am »
If it is as he said, paper birch, then the Latin name is betula papryrifera.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 03:51:43 am »
I like birch too!
Great job on those bassman
like em :OK

Offline bassman

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 07:48:45 am »
The bark peeled off like sheets of paper so I assumed it was paper Birch ,or White Birch. May be they are both the same. I don't know for sure.  Guys on Primitive archery claim that Yellow Birch is the Best Birch to build a bow out of. I cut mine down near a coal dump . I used to play their as boy. I knew it was some kind of birch,so figured I would take a shot at making some bows from it.

Offline willie

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 09:55:40 am »
The bark peeled off like sheets of paper so I assumed it was paper Birch

most all birches have trees that can be very papery.  trees  found in different varieties can have tight bark also. I think the name "paper" could not be a very good way to distinguish species.

white birch in the eastern us looks rather different in bark color from yellow. and I think you are correct that it might be a better bow wood. white and paper can be chalky white and have whit branches also. yellow can tend towards copperey. leaves on the yellow are different ,too.

I use a sub variety of white birch, and it is hard to compare as a bow wood without having both on hand. I have compared notes with some bowyers from Finland and Sweden, and I am told european birch is considered to be inferior to the american, but again, it was not mentioned which one in america, and the same is often repeated here about birch as a bowwood being inferior,  I just try to find the densest birch I can

The slower growing birch I have I collected from better drained soil in mountainous areas is better than what I find in the lowlands. Looking at the article in wikipedia, I see both birches growing in the eastern US in coal country, and only at higher elevations the further south you go with some good pics of each.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:06:21 am by willie »

Offline bassman

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 03:57:08 pm »
Well willie at the time I was just hunting Birch period.I found a little grove of trees that was leaning over on an angle, and the trunks  averaged 4 to 5 inches in diameter. The trunks were pretty clean, so that is what I cut ,and used.As far as mass none of the bows above weighed more than 16 ozs. finished with a leather grip ,and string.thanks for the interesting info.