Author Topic: A kids bow with an adult draw legnth?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Sammakesbows

A kids bow with an adult draw legnth?
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:13:41 am »
I got a lil' souix bow when i was 8. Now, 4 years later, I'm still shooting it, but with a draw of 26.5-27. I noticed that it was 39 pounds @27 inches, and is 43 inches nock to nock. Now, even though I'm 12, i grew fast and can pass for 16, and perhaps 17, and this is a good draw weight for a beginner archer my size and gender (the range of draw weight would be 40-55), yet this thing is hard to pull. I heard that the Manchus opted for longer bows for a more stable shot, and i know that the mongols used shorter draws. How did the Turks and Koreans draw that far? I plan to move onto another bow when i have the one right now tillered and shortend to appropriate size, it is way to long.

Offline RyanY

Re: A kids bow with an adult draw legnth?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:17:15 am »
I can’t see the bow but it’s possible that it’s stacking at the end of the draw which is accounting for the higher draw weight and “hard to pull” feel. Asiatic composite bows are designed to draw the far between their shape and the materials being used so they do not stack as drastically with longer draws.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 10:20:22 am »
It could be your muscles haven't caught up with the bow yet, especially if you aren't shooting a lot.  Have someone watch you to check your technique as well.  That is a lot of growth spurt to adapt to!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 10:44:44 am »
Most short Indian style bows are designed for short draw lengths. You may be pushing the bows limits and over stressing the limbs for the design of your bow. Pictures of the bow unstrung, at brace, and full draw would be very helpful.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 10:47:53 am »
I’m voting that stack is your problem, maybe some muscle still needs to develop but most of your problem is probably the bow.

Also 40-55# is a bit heavy for a young teen in my opinion, I’d recommend either building or finding a full size bow about 30-35#
Going to heavy when you don’t have solid technique is only going to cause you problems.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:52:14 am »
Most short Indian style bows are designed for short draw lengths. You may be pushing the bows limits and over stressing the limbs for the design of your bow. Pictures of the bow unstrung, at brace, and full draw would be very helpful.

That might be a bit iffy for him, the bow he has is a solid glass bow. I see them at SCA events all the time just a simple D bow with a thicker handle essentially, good for kids because they’re cheap and bombproof but once the kid gains some height they run into the problems that sammakesbows is running into

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 11:06:25 am »
Dylan, you’re right. I have gotten into selfbows and totally forgot that they sold an all FG kids bow named “Little Sioux”.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 11:19:47 am »
Sammakesbows, I sent you a PM.

Offline Sammakesbows

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 09:06:39 pm »
Thank you so much for the info everyone. Im pretty sure its stack that creates the hard to pull feel. I currently am tillering the board bow and will back it after shortening it (Its ridiculously long). Im aiming for a similar or slightly higher draw weight for for the sake of just seeing if it feels different. Even if it doesnt, it isnt that hard to pull, and my muscles can catch up to it.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 10:04:09 pm »
Dylan, you’re right. I have gotten into selfbows and totally forgot that they sold an all FG kids bow named “Little Sioux”.

no worries, pre covid i inspected a lot of glass bows even if i don't shoot them and the name jumped out at me  ;)
Thank you so much for the info everyone. Im pretty sure its stack that creates the hard to pull feel. I currently am tillering the board bow and will back it after shortening it (Its ridiculously long). Im aiming for a similar or slightly higher draw weight for for the sake of just seeing if it feels different. Even if it doesnt, it isnt that hard to pull, and my muscles can catch up to it.

good luck  :OK but shorten it a little at a time it's a lot harder to put length back on than it is to take it off.

Offline Sammakesbows

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 09:59:19 am »
 :OK but shorten it a little at a time it's a lot harder to put length back on than it is to take it off.
[/quote]
Attatch siyahs  :OK