Author Topic: 64" Rawhide Backed Locust Flatbow, "Homegrown" ,50/27  (Read 3922 times)

Offline silent sniper

64" Rawhide Backed Locust Flatbow, "Homegrown" ,50/27
« on: July 02, 2020, 06:28:50 am »
Good day everyone,
I finished off a bow that is a little different than my usual. For those that have seen my work know that I tend to build laminated bows as my specialty. I decided I should give a stave bow a try just to get the experience under my belt.
The build started with a downed black locust log that I found on my family farm back in February. The log had been down for at least 5+ years and the bark had long since rotted off. I cut the log open and found that it had some heartwood rot, but there was some decent wood outside of the core. I split out two staves which I took back home. The first thing I did was cut through the rotted wood on the back until I got down to a good looking ring to chase. I than roughed out the bow on the bandsaw that and thinned the limbs to near bending size. After that I let the bow sit for a few weeks in my shop to dry out.

Over the next few months I worked on the bow here and there. I slowly got the limbs bending and string aligned after several serious heat straightening attempts. I added 2" of reflex to both limbs as I equaled out the reflexed top limb with the naturally deflexed bottom limb along with a light heat treatment throughout. It took awhile but I finally got the limbs in pretty good alignment overall. I added a few cherry laminations to build up the handle area before I went to rawhide backing.

The back of the bow is full of old checks that ran throughout both limbs. I filled all the checks with superglue and never had any issues when tillered out to 22". But I finally talked myself into backing the bow with rawhide just for added measure before tillering to full draw. The rawhide came from a deer that I shot and made into rawhide myself.

After adding the rawhide it was just a matter of tillering it to 28" and finishing out the bow. The final bow specs are as follows:
-64" ntn, 1-7/8" wide at the fades with a mid limb taper to 1/2" wide tips. 50# at 27"

I inlayed a piece of deer hoof for the arrow pass which came from a deer i shot with my bamboo/osage bow this past fall. The rawhide backing was stained with a dark brown leather dye before the entire bow got 10 coats of tru-oil finish. The leather for the grip came from a nuisance raccoon that was trying to break into my quail pen. The string is X-99 material with a bit of B55 in the nocks for padding.

The bow ended up with a flat profile and only takes around 1/4" of set while shooting. It is a nice shooting bow that I have been quite impressed with, it shoots just as nicely as the laminated wood bows I build. The bow got the name "Homegrown" as everything used in the bow came from my family farm and animals that I shot and processed myself. This is my first attempt at a more primitive style bow and I am happy with the results.

Enjoy,
Taylor
[/url]

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: 64" Rawhide Backed Locust Flatbow, "Homegrown" ,50/27
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 06:34:37 am »
Yeserrrie....... I like it and the story.I love BL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 07:12:34 am »
Very nice.  I've always liked BL
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 07:47:25 am »
That Hill style grip is killer. Very cool that you personally sourced all the materials. Well done.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 08:02:37 am »
Nice bow. Good bend. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 09:25:59 am »
Very nice :D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 09:34:01 am »
very nice bow, and love the deer rawhide,, :)

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 10:01:07 am »
the rawhide is very well done....... and set the bow off nice. pretty combo   

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 01:33:12 pm »
great bow! Your fd tiller is awesome!
Congrats!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Online Will B

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 03:04:12 pm »
Love black locust selfbows. Great profile and really nice bend. Great job!!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 03:31:08 pm »
That is a great bow Taylor.  Looks like you are pretty good at making stave bows too!

Offline M2A

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 06:28:26 pm »
Very nice bow, great looking f/d pic. Nice way to use your own resources to finish it up.
Mike

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 10:15:55 pm »
Love the limb profile.  Simple but very elegant and durable design.

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 05:31:36 am »
Thanks everyone! I’m really happy with how it turned out. I was a bit worried the wood wouldn’t be very good from the downed log but I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Thanks again!
-Taylor

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 10:51:14 pm »
Nice bow and story. Hope to se more stave bows from you, as you are not only very good in doing laminated bows.
Funny, I shot in my first laminated bow yesterday....