Author Topic: Ah scrap!  (Read 1193 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Ah scrap!
« on: July 01, 2020, 12:29:45 pm »
Just about got the limbs balanced,  same musical tone on each side of the tiller when the sun shone for the first time in a week or so and showed me this

I reckon its scrap. Ho hum.bit annoying since its pretty much done....

bownarra

Re: Ah scrap!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 12:55:15 pm »
I feel for you...
Left inner limb?

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 12:58:20 pm »
Too bad. Is it camera angle or is the right limb a lot shorter. Looks like the bow has slipped to the left a few inches.
Maybe a flatter belly next time?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 01:30:44 pm »
Pretty much all of the left limb and starting to show on the inner right. I knew ash liked a flat belly before I started but I really need to practice round belly D-bow making. The limbs are centered but the right is much stronger than the left, there's a bit of twist to complicate tbe view too.I think the damage was done a while ago but I only found it this evening.  Funny thing is its at target weight so I might enjoy shooting it to death while I build the replacement lath. On the bright side I've been able to collect a  lot of data on tapers, draw weight and what-have-you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:51:33 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 05:34:59 pm »
What was the  wood?
How wide?
How long?
Draw weight and draw length?

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 11:54:13 pm »
Pretty much all of the left limb and starting to show on the inner right. I knew ash liked a flat belly before I started but I really need to practice round belly D-bow making. The limbs are centered but the right is much stronger than the left, there's a bit of twist to complicate tbe view too.I think the damage was done a while ago but I only found it this evening.  Funny thing is its at target weight so I might enjoy shooting it to death while I build the replacement lath. On the bright side I've been able to collect a  lot of data on tapers, draw weight and what-have-you.

Forget 'rounded' bellies on anything other than yew or juniper. You are asking for this to happen. Also only Victorian target elbs were that rounded. The correct shape is more of a square with the corners knocked off. Ash simply will not tolerate an arched belly like that. It strength is in tension. flat belly, heat treated and the back trapped will give you way higher chances of success.
I wouldn't shoot it as it is likely to fold at any time with those chrysals.
Take this bow off and cut it in half along the neutral plane. The belly will go into further set and the back spring back to more or less original profile.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 02:29:40 am »
ash sapling lath: ntn its 32 inches, ttt its 34 inches, draw length measured from the belly is 8.5 inches.   Width @centre 31mm, thickness @centre 16mm, width @nock is 21mm, thickness @nock is 12mm; draw weight@8.5 inches 45lb.

I really wanted the Victorian look and had hoped that a draw length: bow length ratio of about 1:4  would keep stresses in a safe zone but I pushed it a bit past that on the tiller tree and I think that's when I did the damage. Draw weight is 45lb and its a real hoot in the garden where the game is to try to avoid hitting the other bolts in a target just 15 feet away.

I have a small diameter holly stem that might do the job for a replacement and I have made round-bellied bows in holly that have not crysaled but I no-longer feel the need to go to such an extreme profile and will keep it a little bit square

I have been fancying doing that saw along the neutral-plane experiment so that might be a fun end-point