Author Topic: Birdseye Maple Board Bow?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Duckhawk

Birdseye Maple Board Bow?
« on: July 06, 2020, 11:32:37 am »
Hey guys,

Just had a simple question. I picked up a piece of maple today from Home Depot (yes, a board bow, sorry) and it looks like it is actually some form of birdseye. Do you think it will work as a board bow? I’m just wondering if the little “birdseye” things in the wood will cause the bow to fail. I’ve had success with maple board bows in the past but this is definitely new. Thanks.

Duckhawk

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Birdseye Maple Board Bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 04:55:58 pm »
It would certainly fail on the back as the "bird's eyes" are extreme grain violations. Not sure it would do well as belly material, either, same reason.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 05:49:04 pm »
I agree with JW.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 06:00:55 pm »

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 11:46:45 pm »
Uselss in tension, poor in compression!
Save it for boxes etc where pretty grain is a plus :)

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 03:31:52 am »
I agree with the above. I wouldn't bother.

If it has enough figure, it looks good under clear fiberglass.

Early in my bow making, when I was trying to make a bow out of everything, I made a bamboo backed bow with a piece of curly maple. I bet it had the world record for the most frets in a bow. It was actually kind of funny. I should have kept it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 04:43:56 am »
I wouldn't even try!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Duckhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 01:22:58 pm »
Thanks guys. I’m going to try it anyway and see how it goes. Maybe a rawhide back will help?

Duckhawk

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 06:06:56 pm »
Maybe it will.....maybe it will go kaboom!   Maple has a tendency to let go in spectacular fashion, without warning. I have a big scar on my forehead to remind me......round all edges during tillering.....and don't pick boards with $**t grain.  I'm lucky it wasnt my eye.
I recommend following the advice already given......
Pick through all the boards in the stack and find straightest, most boring, unfigured grain you can find.  I generally find red oak a bit easier to read than maple.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 06:38:43 am »
I build flintlock rifles and use curly maple. What you will find in a figured piece of wood is the curls are as hard as a rock and the spaces between them is soft and splintery, not good bow wood.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 02:39:13 pm »
Thanks guys. I’m going to try it anyway and see how it goes. Maybe a rawhide back will help?

Duckhawk

This is a serious question. Why would you ask the advice of what amounts to the world's largest collective of bowmaking experience and then ignore it?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 11:29:00 pm »
Some folks just have to learn the hard way!  Make a pretty bow rack with it --it will be a heck of a lot safer, and smarter!  But it is your body on the line!  Please don't post pictures of the explosion!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 04:03:46 pm »
Gotta to say guys....With what I have seen recommended as "go for it" at times, makes birdseye maple look easy, at least belly wood. Is it ideal? hell no, but by no means is it the worst wood i have seen get the go ahead on these boards. It's about challenge isn't it? I cut figure woods for years, curly, quilted, burled are a no go. Birdseye depends on how much, and keeping the figure from the edges. My opinion.

You could back your bow with hickory, oak, maple whatever....then thin the birdseye (Almost veneer like, and glue to the back) the effect without the risk.

VMB
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:07:26 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.