Author Topic: Hickory trees fell in a storm  (Read 980 times)

Offline Nasr

Hickory trees fell in a storm
« on: July 12, 2020, 09:45:50 am »
 Hello so I have two hickory trees that have fallen due to a storm and one has some serious rot in the middle and the other one does not. They both had what seemed like healthy green leaves. Should i waste my time with the rotted one. I dont want the wood to go to waste. I have already cut and split the healthy looking one into staves but the other i have to touched until i make sure. If not i will just cut up and get rid of it. The rot is pretty serious like most of the heart wood is rotted out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory trees fell in a storm
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:20:33 am »
A lot of times a tree will start rotting in the center. This doesn't mean the rest of the wood is infected. Most bow wood in a hickory tree is in the 2" below the bark. If that wood looks good and white without other discoloration I'd say it's worth harvesting. I would mark those staves so later if you find out they are indeed infected you'll know which ones to discard.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:42:55 am »
Split it and check the sapwood out. if it looks clear keep them.

Offline TRiggs

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 12:35:17 pm »
I would split it, even if you can't get a bow from it you can have a ton of awesome BBQ wood.
American Blade Smith Apprentice

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 01:47:29 pm »
Hard to add anything to the advice above.  :OK
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 11:43:51 pm »
Good for smoking hides, too!  Cool smoke, though (lol)!  Do the BBQ, then hook up about 20 feet of pipe or metal dryer vent hose to the smoking rack.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Nasr

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 05:59:35 am »
so the rot is pretty extensive but i will be getting some billets out of it and some branches. The rest i will keep for firewood and other non bowyer related stuff. It is still a pretty large haul with the tree that was not rotted. I will be good for quite some time. I appreciate the advice i was thinking of using some of the rotted tree staves and drying them in a heat box to make a bow and see what happens.