Author Topic: What type of glue for faux snakeskins over rawhide  (Read 1246 times)

Offline mutt

What type of glue for faux snakeskins over rawhide
« on: July 14, 2020, 11:39:29 am »
Bow is already backed with rawhide and sealed with true oil and some flat poly spray on top

gutpile

Re: What type of glue for faux snakeskins over rawhide
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 12:26:14 pm »
will need to remove tru oil if glueing on any skins.. I havent seen any faux skins worth putting on a bow... gut

Offline bassman

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 01:20:45 pm »
Tb3 will work.

Offline mutt

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 02:38:55 pm »
It's for my 15 year old grandson, I think he will get a kick out of it. If it looks like crap when I get it. I won't put it on tho. It's copperhead from 3 rivers.
Bassman, do you agree I need to strip the true oil and poly off or just rough it up a bit with some 100 grit.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 04:56:11 pm »
If you used satin poly over the Tru-Oil you should be good with TB glue for the fake snake skins...assuming they are cloth and not plastic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 07:57:01 pm »
I've used that cotton copperhead patterned fabric before. Hard to tell it is not actual snake until you get pretty close.

I would recommend TBII or III, but the III will darken it slightly as it is naturally a darker glue.

You might wanna sand down the back of the bow with 80-100 grit paper to allow for the glue to get a good mechanical bond with the rawhide since you put a finish on it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 05:23:54 am »
Jw tb2 is water resistant. Tb3 is water proof, and is the better choice. I have around a dozen bows with faux cloth backing. They are holding up good, but they were all put on with a roughed sand paper surface. Some with sinew backing ,and some just wood. I would strip, and rough sand paper, and then apply glue, and skin. Heavy layer of glue, and work the skin with your fingers so it soaks through the cloth,and stays were it is supposed to. Then add glue over top the skin ,and wipe it on tight over the skin. Then wipe excess off with a damp cloth, and let dry.  Not as pretty as snake skin ,but  will look awesome to a 15 year old.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:22:42 am »
Under a good finish both TBII and TBIII are waterproof.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mutt

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 12:52:05 pm »
Thanks fellas, I'm gonna give it a good sanding with 100 grit and use the title bond III

Offline bassman

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 02:54:47 pm »
That will work.