Author Topic: Alaskan yew  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Sagebrush

Alaskan yew
« on: July 12, 2020, 05:38:10 pm »
Hey guys, just wondering about yew distribution in SE Alaska.  I'm headed out to prince of Wales island.  No room to bring any back, just wondering if there is some on the island.  I didnt notice any in a previous trip but I really wasn't looking.  I know that Gerald Welch worked out of this area before his passing.  Just curious.  Thanks in advance.

Offline PatM

Re: Alaskan yew
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 07:35:44 pm »
It certainly exists in the south of the state but size and quantity seems like it might be an issue.

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 05:33:10 pm »
My additional search yielded little.  Most of the accessible forest has been clear cut at some point victimizing any likely yew.  Maybe on the south end.  Forester said he hadn't seen any.  Oh well.

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 07:35:23 pm »
Alaska Trees and Shrubs
by Les Viereck, Elbert L. Little

shows some places on a map where it is reported to grow. The last time I was in POW, the FS guys with their boots in the woods were complaining about the "preservationist" attitudes of the new management at the office. That was over thirty years ago.

a lot of creek bottoms remain uncut to preserve salmon habitat, but you should bring a revolver and a flashlight if you intend to explore them during salmon season.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 07:47:38 pm by willie »

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:05:53 am »
Wales Island is in BC not Alaska. I’d bet good money there is yew there, there is plenty in Haida Gwaii just across the straight