Author Topic: New bow measurements  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Badger

Re: New bow measurements
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2020, 10:18:34 am »
  I think Sleek is pretty close at 275 yds maximum distance.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2020, 10:24:52 am »
239 is not 275 . Even I can do that math. ;D I think on perfect day I could get 250yds from the same bow but that’s pushing it. Haven’t tested it lately. Probably high 180s to low 190s depending on arrow weight. I think the pyramid design comes home more even yielding really good cast. It may not be the best design but very reliable. Yes Sleek I’ve built probably 10 this last winter only three were in the 50# range. I haven’t been able to improve that bow yet. Tried a bunch of times. Get close but no cigar.
Oh well got lucky once. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline DC

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2020, 01:44:56 pm »
Have you guys ever noticed that the bow is faster/further after about 4 or 5 shots? The last few times I've been testing bows they seem to improve  a few fps. I would have thought that a fresh bow would shoot best but are they like an old man, they need to loosen up a bit.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2020, 04:24:39 pm »
Exercising on a tree is different then shooting a bow . I think they have to learn to bend so to speak and learn to come to rest with an arrow. Slamming home is different. The wood has to experience the bend both ways, and wood has no brain! But it has to work the tension and compression in. Yes DC  kinda like us old farts getting out of bed. This could be when the set happens also . I also think there is a point when it settles in and that’s what you get say 200-500 arrows. Seams to happen faster on a hot day. That’s why I prefer to build bows in a cooler time of the year. If 90degrees when tillering they seam to not hold reflex as well. This is just an opinion though no one way to prove such things. More of an observation.  Arvin 
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2020, 05:13:15 pm »
  DC, I had a piece of yew here so decided to build one similar to what you are doing. Build when much smoother and faster than I expected. I glued in 5" reflex with no perry reflex, next time I might add 2" perry reflex. Bow holds 3" of reflex so I lost 2". Inspite of the set force draw was better than I expected at 56.8#. Going to try and flight shoot it this weekend. I should be slightly below 200 fps but I don't plan on shooting it through a crono anyway. I got lucky on the tiller. I used the belt sander to get it to floor tiller put it on the long string and it showed I was ready to brace. I braced it and took it right to 51.2# @ 28". Dropped down to exactly 50# after several pulls so no tillering at all. At 35# I think this bow would have been an absolute screamer. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2020, 05:49:47 pm »
DC,, sometimes the bow shoots faster for me after a few shots,, I just thought it was my release,,

Offline DC

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2020, 06:31:29 pm »
  DC, I had a piece of yew here so decided to build one similar to what you are doing. Build when much smoother and faster than I expected. I glued in 5" reflex with no perry reflex, next time I might add 2" perry reflex. Bow holds 3" of reflex so I lost 2". Inspite of the set force draw was better than I expected at 56.8#. Going to try and flight shoot it this weekend. I should be slightly below 200 fps but I don't plan on shooting it through a crono anyway. I got lucky on the tiller. I used the belt sander to get it to floor tiller put it on the long string and it showed I was ready to brace. I braced it and took it right to 51.2# @ 28". Dropped down to exactly 50# after several pulls so no tillering at all. At 35# I think this bow would have been an absolute screamer.
That's cool. I'm glad it went well. I'm living in fear here that you are going to post that you can only get 180 or something out of my bow.
I found that the Perry reflex helps retain reflex but I'm not sure if if it's just the reflex gain cancelling out the set. I could have damaged wood being held in shape by the reflex gain.
I also heat treated both sides of the belly before I glued up.

Why would dropping the DW from 50 to 35 make a big difference?

Offline Badger

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2020, 07:10:18 pm »
 I think at 35# it would not have taken any appreciable set.

Offline DC

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2020, 07:53:16 pm »
I think at 35# it would not have taken any appreciable set.
Gotcha :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2020, 09:06:55 pm »

Does any reflex return after sitting awhile Badger?

When you can go straight from floor tiller to full draw, with no tillering, you have become the ultimate master bowyer. Just sayin...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others