Author Topic: Eagle One  (Read 3351 times)

Offline M2A

Eagle One
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:43:05 pm »
Hi Folks. Finished this one up for my oldest boy. He earned the rank of Eagle with his Scout Troop last year. I figured it would be pretty cool to make him a bow and have it completed to gift to him on the day of his court of honor, the day he received the rank. After roughing it out last winter tho, I got into some other projects and obligations. however 2 weeks before the big day I was able focus on this project. Every thing had to work right or i'd not be able to complete in time. Working at it every chance I had and with a little luck I was able to finish with 1 hour to spare. Not much into naming bows but had to this time.

Its a  bit of a ceremonial bow but is a 100% functional self bow and made for shooting not hanging on the wall.  When in cub scouts he made an arrow and painted bands for each achievement earned So I figured why not paint bands on the limbs of this bow for the different requirements earned on his way to Eagle. I also called in a favor from a buddy I have for some small graphics. The grip is made from a Summer camp patch and some nettle cordage. Tip overlays are Osage from a tree near where I grew up. I'm sure there are things that slip my mind but thats the most of it. Normally I like to use as much natural materials as I can but for this build anything goes. Paints and wood dye are all store bought.

Bow is 61.5" ntn and 37 lbs @ 25". Limbs are 1 5/8 max width.  Bow is naturally reflexed in the handle while the top limb was naturally deflexed a bit so did my best to even things up during heat treating. This bow never took on much/any set and maintains 1 3/4" of reflex. Some of the finest Black Locust I have worked with. Very pleased with how this one turned out for so many reasons.
Cheers,
Mike
IMG_3750 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3748 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3749 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3747 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3752 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3746 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3758 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3761 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3736 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr               

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
Re: Eagle One
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 12:16:02 am »
That's a cracker mate, he must be stoked, can't wait till my boy is old enough to gift him something similar

Offline Will B

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 05:11:04 am »
 That’s a great story and a great looking bow. Well done!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 05:20:48 am »
Tranquility Base. The Eagle has landed.

I never had the opportunity to be in cub or Boy Scouts. I was in 4-H though. I believe these groups are very important for our youth.

I was invited to my grandson’s cub scouts group banquet. I was asked to bring some of my stuff. I’m not sure if the kids were more interested in what I brought, or if I was more interested in their banquet. The arrow of life with  all of its stripes and symbolic meanings was very interesting.

Very nice and very special bow.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 06:16:36 am »
    Mike awesome job man...I know your proud of Eli's accomplishment...Congrats to him for making Eagle Scout! Can't help but comment on that unstrung profile, jeeeesh man, nice work and beautiful bow...
                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 06:40:51 am »
Your son will enjoy that.  Well done
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 09:10:01 am »
That’s real cool!!!! Congratulations to you both on a job well done.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 11:14:46 pm »
Very nice bow!

Offline M2A

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 06:17:33 am »
Thanks guys.
Rakau, yeah he is pretty please with it, back when i first started the 1st bows I made were for my boys. Fg backed board bows that were way over build and finished up with several inches of set. Its good to have been able to give him an upgrade, more in line with what a self bow can be. Good luck with yours when the time comes, I'll be waiting to see it :)

Thanks Will!

Bjrogg, I bet you had those young boys attention with your work. Thats awesome! The arrow of light is the only cub award to be worn on scout uniform. Its represented on the top limb of the bow I made here. I agree with you about the importance of the youth organizations. For several years now I have been fortunate to teach knife and axe safety to the boys in this unit. No one can carry a knife or be in the axe yard until they listen to my talk/training. I take a lot of pride in teaching those skills to these boys.     

Don, I am not use to attempting a lighter/shorter build like this and got concerned about the width not being enough. I kept waiting for set to start messing up the overall reflex, spent several nights on the last 4 inches of draw, but the reflex held no problem.

Thanks Marc, Arvin, Lehtis!!

Mike             

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 06:45:16 am »
This is such an awesome thing to see.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 04:48:40 pm »
Congratulations to you on an awesome bow and congratulations to your son on reaching the rank of Eagle.  My son and I will look for him on top of Eagle Mountain!

Fellow Eagle, 1976
Proud Father of an Eagle, 2010

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 06:30:06 am »
Outstanding job on all aspects of that bow Mike! Congratulations to your son for achieving his rank as Ragle and to you for the role you played along the way. Well done!

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 01:28:10 pm »
Mike, very nice work! I am an Eagle Scout myself and I understand the amount of work it takes to reach the eagle ranking. Congrats to your son on the fabulous achievement
Cheers,
Taylor

Offline M2A

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 06:31:18 am »
Thanks Allen and Morgan!
Tyler  and Blindarcher, thanks. I made sure he read through this post himself. Thanks guys!

Time to continue my efforts back to the trade. thanks all.
Mike