Author Topic: Arrow shaft wood  (Read 4817 times)

Offline agd68

Arrow shaft wood
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:50 pm »
Hi all. I`m a traditional archer begining to dabble in the primitive side. I have a few questions. Are cain and bamboo the same thing? Do you spine cain shafts like othe woods. I live in Eastern Canada, any local archers have advise on good arrow woods.What is chokecherry like as a shaft?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Arrow shaft wood
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:56:40 pm »
Our native river cane is a bamboo, but it can be quite different from a lot of the Asian ones. It's closely related to Tonkin  cane and Japanese arrow bamboo, which also make great arrows. Cane seems to be a bit more tolerant of spine variation as a shaft because of the natural taper. I flex mine by hand, and can usually get them pretty close to the right spine just by feel. I've never tried chokecherry myself, but it was used a lot by the Plains tribes as arrow material, so I would guess that it makes good shafts. Some other good shaft materials you probably have in your area are redosier and gray dogwoods, highbush cranberry and other viburnums.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:04:35 pm »
like steve said the vibunums and dogwoods are great. cherry doesnt like to stay straight but it works

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:53:02 pm »
i duno if ya have it there but sourwood works great!!! ;)
lets just shoot it

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 02:01:17 am »
I grew up in NH and dogwood was the best stuff I could find.  You guys probably have a lot of grey dogwood and red osier up there.  The only dogwood that is difficult to work with is silky dogwood (if I remember correctly).  It gets "fuzzy" when you scrape the bark off.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr