Author Topic: Wendover results  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Wendover results
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 07:57:35 am »
   DC's bow did very well considering it was only 42".  I was saving it for broadhead in the 50# class. It shot 222 yards in the broadhead with an oversized 10  strand linen string. Jordan Case shot DC bow in the 35# womens class at 23" draw and managed to break the old record by about 35 yards. The same design bow at 50# will be a force to reckon with.

Sleek did a great job of practicing until he found an arrow to go with his very well built 54" flight bow. He got off a great shot at 350 yards. I was very impressed with some of Arvins heavier bows. They are continuing to break records and pushing the records out where they should be. Chuck Loffler also did very well but I don't know the exact distances he got, I know he did get at least 1 or more records.

I wasn't planning on going back but once again I enjoyed the good company so much I doubt I will be able to stay away.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 09:21:19 am »
   DC's bow did very well considering it was only 42#.  I was saving it for broadhead in the 50# class. It shot 222 yards in the broadhead with an oversized 10  strand linen string. Jordan Case shot DC bow in the 35# womens class at 23" draw and managed to break the old record by about 35 yards. The same design bow at 50# will be a force to reckon with.

That's very cool. I'm excited about that. I liked that Jordan shot it. The Case name comes together. A 50# is in the works. Thanks a lot for all the effort you put into this for me Steve, I really appreciate it. Hope you decide to stick with it for a few more years.
Don Case

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 02:51:54 pm »
That’s a beauty and it also preformed great. DC I studied that bow pretty close but I seriously doubt I could get close much less best the workmanship . I wanted to shoot that bow but Chuck’s been after me pretty hard. With success by the way. Oh well that’s what makes this game interesting and fun.
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 03:11:35 pm »
Thanks Arvin. I'm not that talented I just make a lot of jigs :D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 10:39:29 am »
congratulations guys,, very exciting to hear the results,, some pics would be great,,

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 11:22:06 am »

Offline diliviu

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 01:20:54 pm »
Outstanding performances! Congratulations!

Dump question: what are the specs of a modern American longbow to be allowed in Competition, or where could I find them? Like all wood or not, powerlams allowed or simple selfbow, tips overlays or not, string material, recurved/straight tips so on.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 08:10:07 pm »
Awesome! Congratulations to all! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 08:21:47 pm »
I posted this on Facebook and wanted to put it here as well.

Folks, I appreciate the heart felt congratulatory remarks. Thank you very much! The record was previously 340 yards and my shot took it to 350 yards. I cant claim it as a singular accomplishment however and owe many people thanks as I progressed through my bow making experience.

Ironically, I hadn't been specifically eyeing this record to compete against, but rather the broad head shoot and have been designing, building, and progressively modifying this design towards that endeavor. I asked Steve Gardner what speeds he thought I needed to achieve to be competitive and aimed for the 180s fps he mentioned. When I hit 180 fps with my 54 inch long bow at 26 inch draw at the required 50 pounds I knew I had done it. All that was left was a good heat treat and I would be in business.  With having worked day and night for 2 weeks on end, building prototype after prototype, to ensure i didnt mess up my best piece of wood to build the real bow, i had a week left and none too soon. I was exhausted. So much so in fact, that during my final heat treat I fell asleep with the heat gun in my hand and destroyed my perfect bow.

I was quite cross at the limitations my own body imposed upon my ability to function. Id like to stand here and tell you I took it like a man, grabbed another piece of wood and got to work. But hey, I'm not that tough. I stomped my feet on the floor and contemplated quiting. I looked out at the pre dawn grey skies from the loft in my barn and thought I want to go to sleep. Then I considered the weeks of prep I have put into this. How awesome it would be to be able to say, "I went and was competitive" plus, the airline tickets were non refundable. So, only one thing to do.

I picked out my best piece of wood, and sawed off the sapwood with the bandsaw, then chased a ring. I had 4 days left and all the knowledge on design and tiller fresh in my mind. I I finished it and shot 184 fps with one day left to pack. Success! Id like to thank my wife right here for keeping me fed and forcing me to take a nap during those 3 days of work. I dont think I could have been successful without her constant nagging, I mean, reminding me to eat and forcing me to take a nap. I love you babe!

Stephen was nice enough to host me while I was there and with his coaching I was able to practice shooting before the event. I shot until my fingers blistered so bad I couldn't make strings anymore.  Thats important because the linen strings broke easily with these light weight arrows. Fortunately for me, Stephen is a patient host and made my strings as I broke them in search of good arrow flight. It wasn't until Arvin was given an arrow made by Ivar Malde that he gave me did I find an arrow that flew well. And boy howdy, that arrow was perfect! That is, until I shot it so much in practice ( against aound advice ) that I wore out the paper fletching. Now I had to strip the fletch off, use these little things as templates ( they were only about an inch long and 3/4 tall ) and cut some more from calf hide Arvin gave me. Calf hide by the way is amazing for this purpose. However, in the desert, super glue doesn't hold well when freshly applied. The air is so dry, it doesn't have the required moisture content to cook off the ca glue properly.

I got the arrow refletched and was ready to stand up to test it for clean flight when they opened up the line for the event. Great, now I cant do a practice shot, I have one arrow that I just had to basically rebuild with no jig, no clue how it flies, and I only get one shot at it this round. Oh well, time to get the bow weighed in and register my arrow. As I hand in my paperwork a few people noted my single arrow  followed with, "Good luck, it only takes one arrow to break the record." I smiled and thanked them of course, with no hope of breaking any record, I just hoped I could put the arrow in the field with the rest of them. I stepped up to the line, remembering the advice to keep as close to it as you can without touching, or you sacrifice distance. I pulled the string back, feeling the blisters on my finger complain greatly, ( im a wus ) concentration on the tip of that arrow as I drew it to the max my rest would allow. Any mistake now would send the arrow through my wrist and I didn't want to break that arrow, its my only one you know... I cant say I recall the release. It was subconscious, and probably motivated by the synaptic firings of the pain receptors in my brain.

As suddenly as the string was released it broke and a single fletch floated to my feet. I checked the ground for my arrow, but itwas not to be found. Nobody knew where it went. I had to wait an hour until all shooting was complete. After much stress and dispare, I found my damaged arrow, somewhat defeathered, in a straight line from the firing line, sticking at about a 40° angle into the crusty salt desert floor. A perfect shot! I stood very impatiently by until the officials measured my shot. 350 yards, the record was 340! I couldn't believe it. As I walked back I had to laugh out loud from my own disbelief and excitement and I thanked God for allowing me to perform to the best of my ability. I received quite the welcoming when I got back to camp, word had spreading quickly.

I'm very honored to have been able to make that shot, and thank those who helped me. Its really an honor to be in the record books where the well known and respected Dan Perry has stood.

As for the broadhead shoot I designed the bow for, it did well in as well. one shot went 233 yards in practice, almost 190 in contest, giving me a solid 3rd place, behind the record being held by Mr. Arvin at the moment, at 239 yards. Next year, id like to see if that can be bested and I think this same design can do it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 09:47:22 pm »
Great story Sleek :D

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 10:04:15 pm »
Sleek, good to see you this year and well written post. DC, Your bow is a beauty!
  I didn't go to Wendover this year making any claims. I planned on having a catch of new flight bows and arrows this year but ended up being a full time home school teacher and child care provider for my kids after something came up earlier this year. I ended up with some good shots, but that was just icing on the cake. I go out there because the company. A bunch of fellow archery nerds that know everything about all designs and materials. Great conversations and comparisons.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 08:42:40 am »
Enjoyed your story Sleek. Congrats to all the bowyers & shooters. Sounds like a great event.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2020, 09:37:47 am »
Thanks Chuck, I'm really pumped about the record and all the great comments it got. I wasn't expecting that.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 09:45:16 am »
Great story Kevin.  I don’t know how you remembered all that but that’s the way it went. Glad have witnessed you breaking Perry’s record. That was a tough one to break. The story hopefully sparked some interest in others on here and it will bring more folks to Bonneville where you never know what happens. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2020, 10:26:37 am »
Can you post a couple of pictures of your bow, Sleek?