Author Topic: Crabapple wood (siberian crabapple tree)... white wood?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline BoisBrule

Crabapple wood (siberian crabapple tree)... white wood?
« on: October 06, 2020, 09:27:30 am »
I've been asked to take down a big ol' Siberian Crabapple tree in a backyard, owner wants it gone.

Is this gonna be a "remove the bark and done, white wood" bow wood? Or will I need to remove the sapwood, down to a single ring?
"...break the skin of civilization, and you find the ape, roaring and red-handed."

gutpile

Re: Crabapple wood (siberian crabapple tree)... white wood?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 10:20:13 am »
remove bark and rock and roll... too bad it isn't summer... might be kind of hard to remove now...gut

Offline BoisBrule

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 10:55:15 am »
Thank you.

I may wait until spring to do it, we'll see.
"...break the skin of civilization, and you find the ape, roaring and red-handed."

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 11:08:35 am »
Crab is good wood :D

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:31:42 am »
It is an excellent wood but it bends and twists like you wouldn't believe as it dries and checks really, really badly, so seal the ends at least three times and carefully strap it down. Easiest wood on the planet to bend with heat so straightening it is not an issue once it is seasoned

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 11:41:02 am »
What stick in the mud said. I tried two times ,and gave up on it along with some others woods that I have tried.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 11:44:20 am »
I would actually recommend cutting it in the winter, I know it will make removing the bark a pain but I’ve had better luck with checking in winter cut wood.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 11:49:43 am »
My experience has been with Pacific Crabapple. No trouble with checking or warping.

Offline BoisBrule

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 01:05:45 pm »
My plan is to cut it in 6 foot lengths, seal the ends as soon as the tree is down, leave the bark on, and leave it like that for the winter... or should I make staves out of what I can immediately, and strap those down? It gets COLD here, and I have no options for heated storage.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 04:58:16 pm »
 Yep, I agree with the other fellas, seal it real good or it will check. I prefer getting the bark off asap too.
It doesn't like being left in big chunks whilst seasoning, so work it down into full width over sized blanks.
Safer to cut in winter.

Sapwood is good, heartwood is pretty but can contain early stages of rot/spalting even in healthy living trees.

A sapwood back, heartwood on the belly/handle makes a pretty bow.