Author Topic: Q about fishglue and rawhide  (Read 1940 times)

Offline simk

Q about fishglue and rawhide
« on: September 18, 2020, 02:11:31 pm »
I just rawhide backed a yew. what is the minimum time to wait before unwrapping the rawhide?
 I'd like to go to bed as soon as possible...i took FISHGLUE. normally I'd probably wait 3-4 hours. thanks for advice!
cheers
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:14:49 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Q about fishglue and rawhide
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 02:26:49 pm »
I've never used fish glue but with hide glue I remove the wrap after about an hour. The glue has gelled well and the wrap has smoothed it out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 02:36:54 pm »
Thank you very much PatB  (-S I thought it might doesen't take too long...good to know.
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 03:08:52 pm »
it came off again  :o will redo tomorrow. maybe a little thicker glue and wait a little longer  🤔
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 03:39:53 pm »
Fish glue doesn't gel as quick does it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 09:34:53 pm »
How are you degreasing the wood? I scrub with Dawn and rinse just before adding the sinew. Never had a lift off since I started degreasing that way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simk

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 12:43:40 am »
DC: It's a learning process  ;D failing for me is the most effective way of learning - I almost started to like it 😁

Thank you PatB: I sanded the back with 320 grit, then cleaned with acetone, then sized with thin glue... why do you degrease? what grease? Is there fat to degrease that comes from the wood (yew) itself or do we degrease only because of the fat that may is left from our fingers? I know certain woods, e.g. ipe, are greasy...but yew?

I think in that case I just didnt wait long enough - the glue was still liquid when I took it off again. I will use thicker glue because the rawhide itself always seems to soak a lot of water.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 02:24:21 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 06:39:41 am »
Fish glue does not gel.  You will have to wait until it dries
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 06:52:50 am »
Hands and fingers can add grease to the wood. I've also heard that solvents can pull oils out of the wood. Don't know if that's true but since I've used Dawn and boiling water I haven't had any problems. The sinew backed bows I made before I used acetone and the sinew lifted.

Offline simk

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 07:59:05 am »
thank you for assistance and knowledge 👍✌️ 2nd try was morr successful. same process, drying time 5-6 hrs  (-S
--- the queen rules ----

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 09:27:51 am »
Sanding to 320 grit has also made the wood surface very smooth. After you clean up the old glue, degrease, go over it a few passes with super low grit sandpaper such as 50 grit or 80 grit. Don't go at it hard, but two or three passes down the length of the bow will give shallowgrooves that will fill with glue and create a deeper mechanical bond with the glue.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 10:38:26 am »
Sanding to 320 grit has also made the wood surface very smooth.

I would agree with that, 320 is very smooth as a surface prep for glue. I wouldn't go finer than 120 on something like this unless the glue manufacturer had a specific recommendation to go finer.

Mark

Offline simk

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 12:19:32 pm »
thank you JW! I finished tiller and shot it a little. everything is fine even without wrappings at the ends of the rawhide  (yet). 320grit was mainly to get rid of last little toolmarks. didn't want to groove or sand that lovely holy back...doing so would have broken my heart. the rawhide is very thin and flexible so that I think there's limited strain...? is it really necessary to rough/groove the back? did you ever have properly glued rawhide come off?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:13:17 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 12:38:15 pm »
Fish glue has a limited shelf life in a liquid state. Maybe 3 months. Unfortunately, most fish glue sold does not have a correct expiration date.

Besides, fish glue in a liquid state is designed for musical instrument makers who need a glue that will "break" at the joints in the instruments when components need to be repaired or replaced.

In other words, commercial fish glue is not designed for permanent assembly.

If you make your own, or use the powdered variety (very rare), it works better.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline simk

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 01:09:11 pm »
the glue is just fine jack. rawhide sticks where and how I want now. glued several lam bows with this glue. no fail. it was the false application only. unwrapped too early. cheers
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:14:46 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----