Author Topic: Woohoo!!! ...almost  (Read 9771 times)

Offline John K

Re: Woohoo!!! ...almost
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »
Awsome bow Andrea !! You should be very proud !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 02:34:32 pm »
 Woo Hooo ! !  Thats a beauty. Nice tiller,beauty is as beauty does,you got the "does " part done, now you can apply a bit of that "Pretty" stuff.Congratulations sis' you are a bowyer and a full circle primitive archer.Keep doing that "Wierd" stuff,It'll stand by you as you go thru life,fashions will change,friends come and go,perceptions will alter,senses may dull but the beauty of a drawn bow and the arc of the arrow in flight will be a wonder right along. I am proud of you. You give this old guy a feeling that the truth's of this life will continue on and be realized by the next generation.Your Generation.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

grantmac

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 05:01:59 pm »
Nice bow!
Messing with your dorm-mates is just practise for one of lifes great pleasures: making your neighbors think your nuts!

Rich Saffold

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 05:55:14 pm »
It's alll about having fun, which is what your expression shows ;D, and your room mates will catch on soon..Having someone like Walt to help, makes this stuff fun and interesting when starting out...

Keep the pics coming!

Rich

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 07:07:18 pm »

hey andrea!  -  congrats: cool bow!
quite amazing you started whit a shorty for a first time bow!
so will you do some paint job on her??
frank
Frank from Germany...

Slivershooter

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 12:09:11 am »
Andrea, Congratulations for making your first bow!!!  Anybody want to bet she doesn't stop with just one?

Andrea is an adept student and took to bow building with lots of enthusiasm.  She knew what type bow she wanted and I couldn’t change her mind to leave it a little longer: “A plains style bow was between 36 and 48” so that is what she made.  I did convince her to leave it long (58”) until she had it floor tillered in case she changed her mind, but she cut the ends off shortly after this photograph was taken.

She put a near perfect tiller on the bow (as shown in her picture), backed it with bison back sinew and a Texas rat snake (I don’t think she believed me when I told her it would stop stinking when she gets a finish on it), and made her own string (I loaned her the DVD Doin The Twist and some B50).  Let me tell you, I was really surprised at the speed and power the little bow has, it was shooting a 407 grain cane arrow with authority.  Here are a couple more pictures, one of her holding the unstrung bow and one of her working on it.

I think she is hooked; she was already designing her next bow before leaving.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 12:56:08 am »
Andrea you go girl nice lookin bow cant wait to see it all decorated and finnished, along with a quiver full of arrows with thoe bone points on them youll be ready to hit the woods good job
                                              Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Keenan

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 04:22:54 am »
  Andrea you rock girl ;). Congratulations on a fine bow. Can't wait to see it completed. And sure we'll see much more to come. Good for you with your studies as well. Back at it girl ::)

Silvershooter good for you for being a menter and friend ;)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 07:03:13 am »
Nice job, really sweet bow.  Just love those sort bows.  Believe me it's a good thing when the college majority thinks you are weird ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 10:23:45 am »
Thats a great lookin bow.  Glad to see I'm not the only younging on here. I'm gonna have to build one of them short bows someday.
Wayne Silverthorn

radius

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 12:03:15 pm »
Just make sure to tie your hair back when you use the power tools!

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 09:40:23 pm »

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement!

Frank: I won't be painting it, but I will do a leather handle wrap and some otter fur decorations, plus a bit of quillwork.

Walt: I couldn't have done it without you! I'll have some neat stuff (arrows, a quiver, and maybe a bow or two me and my dad will work on) when I come back in the fall!

I'm just itching to get home so I can finish this puppy up, fletch some more arrows, and brush up on my shooting!
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 10:37:54 pm »
 what a great looking bow (Especially for a first bow)Looks like you got it backed with one skin! Nice !!.
 I was bracing my bow yesterday(First selfbow I've made.Red oak 71" n to n.) not realizing that I was acting like it was one of the laminates I've been shooting for years,and broke the lower limb.My wife almost went into shock.I put so much time and love into that piece of wood for the last two months,good thing I had started on a black locust stave last week,I might have died of heartbreak,instead,I have been healing my heart in the embrace of a new bow.
 Love quillwork by the way.The huckleberry juice I make to make jam and syrup out of makes a great dye for arrowshafts,yarns,my fingers and I would bet,quills.Makes a nice purpley/pink shade.
Hope you have a great summer and get to spend plenty of time outside.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 10:50:18 pm »
That's a really nice looking bow Andrea! Looks like you had a lot of fun making it.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 11:06:08 pm »
nice.......you think thats a short draw... my draw is like 22 inches! nice bow and ya got a nice workshop, also nice arra...
Modern Day Tramp