Author Topic: Question on short reflex deflex bows  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Eric Garza

• EricGarza.info
Question on short reflex deflex bows
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:56:33 am »
I finished my first deflex-reflex self bow the other day. It was made of hickory and is 67 inches tip to tip. It draws 50 pounds at 25 inches (I use a floating anchor, so have no need for the bow to draw a full 28 inches), and does not feel that heavy at full draw. It turned out okay, though there are many things I will do differently when I tackle my second d-r bow.

With that in mind, I am curious if the d-r design adapts well to shorter self bows. I recall that Marc St Louis posted years ago about a short bamboo-backed yew d-r bow that he felt did not perform all that well. Any other data points out there? By short, I am thinking in the 50-60 inch range. My next project will probably be a 55 inch bow, and I might invest the time to make it a deflex-reflex if it seems like the performance benefits hold at that short length.
Eric Garza
Visit my personal website

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Question on short reflex deflex bows
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 11:18:23 am »
I enjoy just straight reflex,, maybe I am lazy and its a bit easier to make,, and shoots fine for me,,even in the shorter 50 inch versions,,sinew backed,, Im sure the reflex deflex would be great, I dont think there would be alot of difference in performance cast wise,, but others that make that design can chime in,,

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 11:51:08 am »
Brad,
is there a case to be made for deflex in the design to help get a decent brace height with a 55" reflexed hickory bow?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 11:52:19 am »
 im sure there is, and feel like I have read that, I just dont have experience with it,,or  have not tested that design,,the brace height has never been an issue for me,,and I love to shoot short bows
  I remember DC posted some graphs that showed string angle on rd  ,, and there was a good discussion on that thread,,
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:21:30 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 11:53:55 am »
I just finished a 52" RD that is about 35#@25". I think it was 187@10gpp. I used the same caul I use for the 66" bows, I just slid it out to the end. I think all the R cancelled out most of the D. Think the short ones need their own caul. :D I'm going to do some comparison testing with short drawing my 50#@28" bow this afternoon. I'll post the results.
Sorry for the blurry pic but you can see the shape.
Vancouver Island
If you don't have any questions you must not be paying attention.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 12:23:49 pm »
that seems very effecient for the 25 inch draw,, I remember a full draw curve you did with the longer bow, and I think it was like 175 for 24 or 25 inch draw,,since the bow was not designed for that draw I thought it was great,, I think that bow went to 200 fps with the 28 inch draw
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:28:59 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 12:33:14 pm »
I'm thinking that the little bow should be faster up to a point as it has a lot lighter limbs. We'll see.
Vancouver Island

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 12:44:46 pm »
I love the profile of the little bow, very graceful,,

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 01:01:17 pm »
im sure there is, and feel like I have read that,

yes, I spoke a bit soon, sorry. Trying to do too many things at once today. and follow along. guessing my concern would matter if we knew a bit more.

Eric, what brace height and drawlength are you shooting for?

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 01:03:10 pm »
Well so much for that. It was fine the other day and I did a little sanding(very little) and today one limb is way weak. Boy these things can be finicky. A weeks work and then one scrape too much and they're toast. I'll glue a splint on it just to see what could have been. Sorry no tests.
Vancouver Island

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 01:43:21 pm »
 :(

Offline Eric Garza

• EricGarza.info
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 02:29:05 pm »
Eric, what brace height and drawlength are you shooting for?

I typically use a brace height of about 5 inches, and my draw length is 24-25 inches, depending on shooting position.

The bow DC showed looks sweet. I do not think I would try for that much reflex, but the idea of a 52-inch D-R bow intrigues me. That one looks like a laminate. Mine would be a self bow, probably made from either HHB or Osage.
Eric Garza

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 05:05:29 pm »
Yes it's Boo backed Yew. I've had difficulty getting selfbows to hold enough reflex for the speeds that I'm after.
Vancouver Island

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 06:00:32 pm »
yes they are tricky,,

Offline Eric Garza

• EricGarza.info
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 07:13:17 am »
Yes it's Boo backed Yew. I've had difficulty getting selfbows to hold enough reflex for the speeds that I'm after.

That is good to know.
Eric Garza