Author Topic: Target Bows vs. Hunting bows?  (Read 4331 times)

Offline mmattockx

Re: Target Bows vs. Hunting bows?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 09:36:32 pm »
My target bows i shoot 3 under, hunt split finger.

Why is that?

Mark

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 06:36:39 am »
Eric, what were the limitations?

Biggest limitation is getting a clean draw and release is harder with a longer bow in the areas I hunt. Vermont has lots of brush in its forests owing to fire suppression. When I find myself in a position to take a shot, which is rare, it can be hard to draw and release without having the bow's tips contact sticks and other things. Very frustration for me. Shorter bows lessen this trouble.

Offline HH~

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 07:57:28 am »
With 3 under at ranges to 27yds I can shoot on avg a little more accurate. Split I can get a little more speed out of my hunt bows and  "I never have to hold over the spot I want my arrow to hit". I Gap so i have a sight picture i maintain just like shooting Combat Pistol "i want my sight picture to always have the target in it not holding over it".

I'm 74.5" tall so I never worried about carrying a long bow even in the thick stuff. I figgered if i got to push thru this mess I surely can take a 74" bow thru it with me. Never shot in an enclosed blind. Always used a ghillie blind with an open top, still do today. Killed most all my big game with bow from using a Hasty Ghilie/Natural Blind. Just in the last 8yrs or so did I start hunting from tree stands.

So you see,  my Target Bow and Hunting Bows look same but are shot entirely different. What a good shelf on a selfbow will do for you. Don't have to cant bow to get an arrow to fly well and.......it allows you plenty of cushion to use a wider variety of spines and point weights. Not to mention if yer tree standing it the arrow stays put.

I'm sure you'll get more and different ideas. Don't sell or look at selfbows, just shoot the beJesus out of them.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 08:20:54 am »
I can't help much beyond what Pat said but I have always (30 years...longer if you count FG bows) used hunting bows for target and 3D. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 08:39:09 am »
Dang hedgehunter I didn't even think about the ability to leave an arrow nocked and ready with a shelf.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 09:08:10 am »
When I'm hunting I sit with my bow across my lap, an arrow nocked and ready with my shooting hand on the string. Ideally, when I see a deer coming I slowly stand and get my stance ready for the shot. As the deer approaches I put tension on the string and when I'm ready for the shot I slowly draw and release...or let down and await another chance. I never hold a bow, especially a selfbow at full draw for more than a second or two. I use this same method, basically for target or 3D shooting. To keep from confusing my brain with any of this is why my hunting bows and target and 3D bows are the same.
 By a month before hunting season I have chosen my hunting bow exclusively but I also have a back up bow that shoots similar to my hunting bow just in case.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 11:02:27 am »
On ground i usually stay seated unless i need to clear something. Always set my ghillie net at shoulder height seated. Shot many whitetAils at 2-3yds seated mostly quarter away. Fun to kill when yer eyeball to eyeball on ground and know you have beat their nose and eyes at 6ft.
At those ranges you cant take bow off yer lap and move it vertical. I hold it upright arrow in shelf fingers on string prolly starting when deer are 50yds out. That way its at almost in drAw position seated. Then, its a snap shot at 6-10ft split finger with my gap right on belly line.
The best thing about groynd standing is:

When your shot travels into game you almost always get both lungs. Not one and out!!

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 11:19:25 am »
Pat I definitely would shoot the same for hunting and targets for the reason you stated. Hedge I am WAY to impatient to hunt from the ground the only way I can stay and give a spot a chance is hanging in a tree

Offline HH~

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 11:35:18 am »
Why you carring brown shoe polish.

Shawn~
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:37:45 pm by HedgeHunter »

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2020, 12:11:24 pm »
Way you carring brown shoe polish.

Shawn~
I have no idea what this means

Offline bassman

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2020, 05:57:21 pm »
What target shooting do you have in mind, and just how serious are  you about it? Their are several target games. Every thing from shooting candles out to shooting a Blue faced 20 yd. target to field target shooting to 3D to shooting  to air targets. etc etc etc.  Their are varying opinions above, and that is OK. Different strokes for different folks. Build a longer bow like your favorite shooting shorter hunting bow ,and pick a target game. Shoot against yourself  with the 2 bows, and study the results. Then you will have answered your own question. For me it is heavier bow by at least a lb., lighter draw, a deep shelf, string nock, Low stretch string, bone tip over lays, and longer limbs for better string angle, and less string pinch ,and shooting 2 fingers under. If you find that longer, and heavier is not better for you cut the bow down ,and make it the way you want it. That is the nice part of bow building . You can do what you want with it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 07:16:34 pm »
how do you keep your bow string from hitting the ghillie ,, I cant shoot in one very well

Offline HH~

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2020, 08:07:57 pm »
Its built on a net not a suit. You set the net up slightly in front of you. I wear camo and ensure i have a good back drop behind me. When wearing a suit you just keep burlap etc off your front side arm. If you can shoot in a winter coat and cold gear your can shoot in a Suit.

Shawn~

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 09:10:46 pm »
Why you carring brown shoe polish.

Shawn~
Still no idea what your asking

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2020, 09:53:14 pm »
I enjoy shooting for its own sake, but what I really want is to know I can make a good shot at an animal when the time comes.  Shot opportunities are very rare around here, so I want to make them count.  So I use the same bow and technique for targets and hunting.  I have enough trouble staying consistent without switching bows and grips!  If I ever get to a 3d shoot again, I might practice gap shooting for the long shots.  I would never need that technique for hunting because I would never take a shot beyond 30 yards, unless it were launching at a rabbit or carp. 

Other than that, same old same old.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour