Author Topic: Farrier rasp  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Farrier rasp
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 04:14:06 pm »
  Another useful tool is the spokeshave especially on white woods. It takes a little practice to get used to but in less than a day you can handle one pretty well.

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 04:26:26 pm »
I concur, I've had a shinto rasp for a while and I did love it when I first got it. But then I got a farriers rasp and I haven't even looked at my shinto since it is an awesome tool. I use it for roughing to tillering out to about 24 inches, just use a nice light touch and you can have some amazingly controlled wood removal.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 04:56:32 pm »
This whole discussion is so interesting to me.  I've been making selfbows and all-wood board bows since the early 90s and I don't think I have ever used a rasp for anything other than a very small 4-in-1 for rounding the handle.  What I am getting at is the fact that there are just so many different ways to do things and we all end up using whatever suits our own personalities.  I use a bandsaw to do 95% of the work since I'm too impatient.....and then I tiller with a belt sander and a cabinet scraper.  To be sure, I have seen a good rasp do some serious wood removal when I have watched others work and I keep wondering if I ought to try it.....so many options and too little time!

Matt

Offline barebo

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 05:11:01 pm »
I just watched a video on sharpening a farrier's rasp by placing it in a piece of PVC pipe with a cap on the end filled with white vinegar. Rasp is placed in the tube and left overnight then neutralized with baking soda in water. Turns it dark but chemically sharpens to a respectable degree. Having said that - I just bought a new Diamond brand as my old one needs a face lift!

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 07:06:41 pm »
My go-to for heavy wood removal is a 12” half round cabinet rasp. It is a beast that removes wood with ease. That said I have never tried a farrier rasp so I cant say how it compares.
Cheers,
Taylor

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 08:01:37 pm »
I don't know if I would try to sharpen one lol, mine was only 30 bucks. Rakau, Brad said he uses his for tillering too I will prolly give that a try. Taylor if your getting your wood off and having no issues I wouldn't worry about it, but...I think you'd love a farriers. Badger what all do you use a spokeshave for, I have one but I've never used it.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 09:37:25 pm »
   the main reason I use it,, rasp.. is cause I enjoy using it,, I dont really like the band saw,, I can tiller with it,, but like the rasp better, but as stated,, many good tools that work well,, its just me,, I can use a light touch and take very little wood, I like the long rasp as it helps me keep things even and not take off too much in one spot,, when I made bows professionally, I used belt sander and tube sander etc,, and it was faster,, but faster is not my objective now,, I enjoy the process,,, so rasp and knife for scraper,, are my tools for tiller,, not saying they are the best, just what I enjoy,, and thats why I make bows because I enjoy making them,, and it keeps it simple,,
once the stave is roughed out, I only need need 2 tools,, rasp,, and knife,,to tiller the bow,, I like simple,, and with the farriers rasp,, I only need one rasp,,
    every one has their own method and preference, just like every guitar player has an insturment of favor,,the bow maker has tools that work best for him,, when the arrow hits the mark,,your process is a success,,
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:15:55 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 05:07:44 am »
The way you write about it Brad I can tell two things, that you have done this for a long time, and that you truly love bow making.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 08:25:25 am »
https://boggstool.com/file-division

I understand they do better on courser files and rasps, the really fine tooth files are harder to sharpen.

They use to sharpen your files and sent them back with a bill. I see now that first time customers get a call when your files are done and you pay up front before they ship. They must have had some folk stiff them under the old system. If you have one that is beyond hope and doesn't meet their standards they will try to sharpen it but not charge you if is doesn't measure up.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 08:31:00 am by Eric Krewson »