Author Topic: Hickory Rings  (Read 2607 times)

gutpile

Re: Hickory Rings
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 08:25:47 am »
first off when fire hardening or heat treating hickory it better be good and dry or will check incredibly bad... every time I work my hickory bows they go back in closet .. till done.. after final tillering and shoot in... I seal with a spray varathene .. after sealed its done.. I can take it out and hunt whatever... all my bows are stored in my basement .till I decide to use one... when sealing anything you have to leave at least one side raw... so it can breathe..(ex. when sealing a stave you seal both ends and back.. you leave belly raw).. at least till completed.. and down to the moisture content you are after then you can seal it completely... it then shouldn't gain or lose any moisture... if sealed properly... gut.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 09:07:16 am »
Thank you gut
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Piddler

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 11:01:53 am »
Some good info guys.
Gut I will use the parameters as suggested. I am in Oklahoma which is pretty wet right now. I did watch the video of the guy making one in three days. This stave is a seasoned stave but still has a pretty high moisture content. I will work it down to rough measurements and get it dry to the specs mentioned. Kind of looking forward to a new type of wood I haven't worked before. Work is getting in the way a bit though.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

gutpile

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 08:40:14 am »
get it dry enough.. 1 1/2 wide to mid limb taper to 1/2 to 3/8 nocks.. recurve or flip tips... no need to sinew.. sinew and hickory are not a good combo... no need to back period... you will love this wood... I do.. and its a pain but it is worth it. .. gut

Offline Piddler

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2020, 09:14:00 pm »
Thanks for all the info Gut and the rest of you guys. Ill keep you posted.
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"