Author Topic: Split-vision  (Read 16776 times)

Offline Kegan

Split-vision
« on: May 03, 2008, 03:21:38 pm »
Hill's style of shooting. I've been practicing it for a while now, and have gotten much mroe accurate (despite my awful vision). Anybody else shooting this way, or is instinctive the choice style nowadays?

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Split-vision
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 03:53:13 pm »
Could you explain what that is exactly?  ???
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 04:24:44 pm »
You concentrate on the center of the target, as you would with insitinctive shooting, and as you bring the arrow to anchor you note the arrow tip in your peripheral vision, whilst maintaining total concetration on the center of the target. The tip would be placed at an imaginary point that, with continual shooting, will be ingrained in your memory for certain distances. It's kinda like a "back up" to instinctive shooting.

The two biggest things it's helped me with are long distance shots and targets where a center is hard to distinguish (like on a plain paper plate or a board).

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 05:28:27 pm »
IMO the biggest advantage ta split-vision aiming is that ifn ya miss ya have areference point when ya see how much ya missed by. With pure instinctive ya dont have that. Point is not ta miss I guess..........bob

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:26:24 pm »
Hi, I've been using that type of shooting style ever since reading his Hunting the hardway.... Great book and it has helped me lots in my 3D target scores and hunting results ;D It was hard to do first of all but when your brain clicks and gets it,it works wonders ;)
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 07:13:42 pm »
I have shot using Hills method of aiming for years with great results... I agree with Cromm , hard to learn but extremely accurate after your brain gets it... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 08:58:59 pm »
You guys definately have it- hard to learn, but worth it when you do. I was shooting split vision when I got my first "Robin Hood" this morning ;D. Fifteen yards at a stump, took a total of seven seconds for both shots.

But now I only have one arrow :P. Gotta go make some more.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 10:34:32 pm »
Wow brother you should quit before you run out of arrows. ;DHawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

kdub

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:34:05 am »
Ive noticed that sometimes when I focus on the target I get split vision, I dont do it conscientiously, but sometimes when it happens I put the arrow right dead center. 

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:44:51 am »
Yes, I use it on the longer shots. Works much better for me than instinctive at over 25-30 yards.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 04:07:21 pm »
I think this is what I'm doing - never knew what it was called. Only been doing PA since last october, but starting to hit better when I don't think, and miss when I do. Being cross-dominant, (Right handed but left eyed) I close my left eye before release, and it tends to leave an impression of where the tip was as I stare down the target spot as I release. Being cross dominant sucks. Shooting Skeet is pure comedy. :D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 12:25:29 am »
Hello Kegan! :D Long time no see. I am right eye dominant but i shoot lefty. Should I change stance in order to use this method?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 12:50:41 am »
If you are right eye dominant you should probably shoot right handed no matter what meathod you use.  The whole dominant eye thing can really throw off your shooting if you don't. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline StanM

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 01:53:07 am »
I started shooting "split-vision" as a youngster after reading Pope's "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow".  He describes a very similar method in it.  Shooting that way with properly spined arrows will help you "shoot the line".  I found it very easy to shoot accurately left and right.  After a while the up and down gets there pretty easily and now I feel like I shoot more "instinctively", but I still occassionally check my line consciously when shooting.
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 05:53:39 pm »
I started shooting "split-vision" as a youngster after reading Pope's "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow".  He describes a very similar method in it.  Shooting that way with properly spined arrows will help you "shoot the line".  I found it very easy to shoot accurately left and right.  After a while the up and down gets there pretty easily and now I feel like I shoot more "instinctively", but I still occassionally check my line consciously when shooting.

I've tried shooting that way a couple times- and it does work wonders. Unfortunately it torques my shoulders out of alignment on my heavy bows and really messes me up :P.