Author Topic: New recurve Pat M style  (Read 6471 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: New recurve Pat M style
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 07:02:20 am »
Where the heck do you find such straight Osage Arvin?

I can’t wait to see that stave you put in the mail. I’m not sure I know how to make a bow out of something so straight though.

I like the same design Pat describes for myself. I got a pretty short draw though.

I like the shape of your static tips. I like to put about a inch reflex in my limbs.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 11:32:36 am »
Well Jim Hammer cut a tree about 4 years ago. He got like 90 staves from it. I seen him at OJAM with this wood. He had about 50 with him. Everybody was trying to beat him up on his price??? He wanted I think $85 a stave. I bought 30 that day and gave him $100 a stave. Told him he could make 15% on his money if he would save those staves for me for a year. Not being greedy and offering a decent price on his stave got me first pic and a good friend In the stave business. I think I have bought most of that batch of staves over the last 3 years. But he knows what I want and try’s to provide my needs. I have about 25 left and he’s still looking for another tree like that one. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 11:53:05 am »
Jim is a GEM... and I know he will never see this thread... LOL  He knows wood and makes a great bow himself.  I would expect Jim and Arvin to be close friends...  :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 12:25:11 pm »
Everybody was trying to beat him up on his price???

It is the way of people. The other day I saw one of the FG bow component suppliers commenting that he constantly had customers complaining about the quality of the cheaper brand of FG lams, but they were too cheap to buy the higher quality option. They would rather pay less and then complain about what their decision bought them.

Not being greedy and offering a decent price on his stave got me first pic and a good friend In the stave business.

That makes you smarter than a very large chunk of the buying public. You understand good value trumps a low price every time. I'm looking forward to seeing how this recurve turns out.

Mark

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 01:20:36 pm »
Hey someone post a pic of string knocks for one of these static recurves. Keep in mind just enough mass to hold the static. Arvin
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:48:19 pm by Selfbowman »

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 02:11:59 pm »
Just make a normal nock and extend the portion where it comes together on the belly side in a long groove.    Get everything bending an lined up and then do your trimming of the mass as the last steps.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 02:24:12 pm »
Arvin, your usual nocks would work if you made the loops larger.  Pat's idea is likely better, but I have always thought that the nocks on siyahs, which look like your normal nocks, combined with the long string loops, kinda cradle the tips and keep them inline.  Just my thoughts...

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2020, 04:28:28 pm »
I like both styles. Not sure if one or the other offers more stability.  That seems more a function of limb and tip alignment.

With the stave he's got it shouldn't be to hard to get things lined up.

For a first time static I think the belly groove style is a bit easier to achieve since it's not really changing to a too unfamiliar shape.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2020, 04:44:37 pm »
For now it just has two notch’s in the tips. Don’t have the limbs even enough to pull to 12-14” quite yet. It it’s getting close.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2020, 06:26:00 pm »
That's coming along really well

This is how I usually finish my recurves

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2020, 06:37:52 pm »
Marc, do you still do the 'bridges' on some?  That recurve has beautiful tip work...  :OK

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2020, 06:39:38 pm »
Those look really nice Marc. I make mine very similar to Marc. Just not as pretty
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2020, 06:53:53 pm »
I learned long ago the hazards of narrow recurves. Those who can pull it off are better than I am.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2020, 08:25:27 pm »
Thanks guys I may get my glass bowyer to help me get these right. I need to show him some bows anyway. Arvin

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2020, 09:21:42 pm »
I just saw a post with a great picture of old Pope and Young museum static recurves...check out the one on the bottom!