Author Topic: New recurve Pat M style  (Read 6437 times)

Offline PatM

Re: New recurve Pat M style
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2020, 09:40:56 pm »
Looks like a lot of Chet Stevenson work or influenced work there.

bownarra

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2020, 12:30:50 am »
That last one is what I'm talking about :)
Don't bother cutting string grooves/nocks yet. Cut a small wedge about 1/2" long and simply bind it in place as a temp nock. As you progress you will be able to see exactly where to file in your grooves.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2020, 08:21:58 am »
I don't do bridges anymore Bob

I've done really narrow tips on recurves and they are a bit more tricky to get the string to sit properly on the apex of the curve, possibly why I used bridges years ago.  I started making shorter curves at one point and found that performance did not suffer at all plus it was much easier to get string alignment.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2020, 08:29:40 am »

I've done really narrow tips on recurves and they are a bit more tricky to get the string to sit properly on the apex of the curve, possibly why I used bridges years ago.  I started making shorter curves at one point and found that performance did not suffer at all plus it was much easier to get string alignment.

I must be learning. That’s exactly what I found to Marc. I like the shorter recurves. Much easier to align and lighter tip. Still get the same effect. I would even say the performance might be better because of the weight loss. At least better than the ones I use to make.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2020, 08:30:36 am »

Exactly what I've learned as well. Long narrow curves suffer from lateral stability issues. Shorter is better here.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2020, 09:00:53 am »
That one on the bottom is long as a well rope. Interesting pic though . Thanks for sharing Bob. I have it to 50@ 25 and no major set yet.i think I will stop at 27 and test the flight against the other recurve. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2020, 09:15:55 am »
I started making shorter curves at one point

I like the shorter recurves.

Exactly what I've learned as well.

Can any of you define how long a 'shorter' recurve is? I'm not looking for a definitive number, just a rough number that you like to use. A bonus would be what angle you like to bend the recurve to as well.

Mark

Offline PatM

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2020, 09:39:41 am »
Short would be 3-4 inches , long anything  over that really.    I admit to liking slightly longer hooks.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2020, 09:50:04 am »
Very nice! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2020, 11:31:51 am »
Mark if you look at Bobs picture of the museum bows. I would say the fourth one from the bottom has longer than I care for.

The fourth one from the top looks like what I like.

I’m not saying anything wrong with them. Just my preference.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2020, 12:08:38 pm »
What i notice is none of then held any reflex or maybe never had any.

Very nice collection indeed.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2020, 12:16:05 pm »
I love that picture... :)  First thing I noticed about the bottom bow was the 90° curves, that just need cut off a few inches from the tip, and then the added reflex it had as well... then I saw the bow just above the middle of the pile... the one with tight, short, like 100°+ curves.  It's very close to the Brad Merkel/Little Tree 120° curves that could be hung on a limb...even after stringing.  Barefoot Tom still has one.

HH~ I'm thinking the bows don't show reflex because they were all made without adding any reflex...?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:21:44 pm by Bob Barnes »
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline PatM

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2020, 12:18:49 pm »
I see reflex in a few.  There's a bit of every variation in that collection.   These bows tended to be used hard in all conditions.

Offline HH~

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2020, 01:27:47 pm »
I see what lioks like reflex but im thinking they working limb sections took brunt of punishment over time and outer third stayed as they were. Love to see bows that were used as as weapons for gathering food. Just love seeing them on the “used rack with blood stained fingerprints still on them”.

I agree with BJ more time into getting limbs to line up, no bridges is a benefit. I still like the bridged profile however.

Thinkin im going to do a take down static. Found some Hedge sisters that should fit for the project.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2020, 04:18:36 pm »
Ok shot 245yds at 28”.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!