Author Topic: Timing of heat treating belly and backing  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Kidder

Timing of heat treating belly and backing
« on: December 27, 2020, 01:23:26 pm »
Working on a black locust bow. I’ve recurved the tips and added a little reflex to one limb to match the other limb and it has turn out to have some pretty aggressive reflex overall. The stave it came from was probably mediocre in that it’s probably 60% late wood on the back transitioning to 50/50 in the belly area. Because of the significant reflex and relatively thin rings I think it’s best to back this bow with rawhide. I also intend to heat treat the belly to try to avoid chrysals. My question is this - at what point should I heat treat the belly and then secondarily at what point should I add the rawhide backing? My instinct tells me to get it bending on the long string as even as I can and then heat treat it and then immediately back it with rawhide and go back to the long string and see where things sit before moving on to a low brace. Is there a better plan? Thanks in advance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Timing of heat treating belly and backing
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 03:16:08 pm »
You will have to heat treat it first before adding the rawhide backing. If it is a good clean back you shouldn't need a backing though. Locust is very strong in tension.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 03:25:55 pm »
I think the best way to avoid chrysals with bl is to make the limbs wide and thin and have a good tiller.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 04:01:43 pm »
You will have to heat treat it first before adding the rawhide backing. If it is a good clean back you shouldn't need a backing though. Locust is very strong in tension.
It is a good clean back but I have concerns due to the amount of reflex in the stave and also the quality of the wood, which is why I’m leaning towards backing it. So that said, am is my timing outlined acceptable - long string, heat treat, back?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 05:46:30 pm »
I'd say any time after first brace for heat treating.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC