Author Topic: starting on my second bow  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Strongbow88

starting on my second bow
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:09:32 pm »
I am now ready to start drawing out my new bow on the back of the stave. the stave is hickory and has close to 1 inch of reflex probly has about 9 to 10 mc. I would like to try to take advantage of tim bakers mantra theory.And make the tips Eiffel-Tower shaped. the desired draw weight is around 55 pounds at 28 inches. I would like the length to be around 68 inches. If you all don't mind throw some figures at me regarding how wide to make it, what portion of the limb to Eiffel tower. and how long to make the Eiffel-Tower transfer. Or if you have a completly different design you think would be better I am all ears. thank you for your input

danny johnson     

Danny Johnson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: starting on my second bow
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:41:08 pm »
Danny, basically you are talking about a modified Holmgaard style bow.  Just a guess from what I remember I'd say to make the tips about 1/3 of the limb length. Leave it thick and about 3/4" to 1" wide until you get the limbs tillered then reduce the width to an aesthetically pleasing shape. James Parker was telling me that he tillers a Holmsgaard style bow from the outer limb inward instead of the other way we normally do.
   With hickory you want to get the M/C to about 6% or your bow will be a bit slugish and take on more set.      Good luck with your project and keep us posted.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:18:49 am »
what's mantra theory?

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:30:26 am »
Its in traditional bowyers bible volume 4,'' Make inner linbs wide or long enough for virtually no set. Make midlimbs wide enough for little set. Make outer limbs-limbs and tips narrow enough for lowest possibe mass.''-Tim Baker
Danny Johnson

radius

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:06:29 am »
got it