Author Topic: Start of an osage ALB  (Read 22708 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Start of an osage ALB
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 05:15:47 pm »
It will only be a slight radius once the bow is done and the corners rounded. It gets relatively flat while I'm building, especially while I'm going around knots, etc. The concave back will also have something to do with how much radius and where.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2021, 12:31:41 pm »
As I'm reducing the belly and using my hand as a thickness gauge I mark the thick areas, areas where I need to remove wood with a squiggly line. You can see it at the top edge of the limb.

And when floor tillering and I see an area that is bending I draw a line across the limb with an "X" where I don't want to remove wood. These markings help me keep things straight in my head as I tiller the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2021, 09:28:48 pm »
thanks for the scraper tip. I totally understand the marking the X so that you keep things straight in your head.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2021, 12:00:28 am »
Exactly. Anything I can do to keep what's in my head straight.  ;D

At this point in the build the staves edges have been sharp.

so from now on I'll be sure the edges on the back will be eased a bit by slightly rounding it

initially I had planned to use the stave as is without heat corrections but I decided otherwise. Clamped to the caul you can see how far out this limb is

so as I always do I coated the belly with cooking oil

Got my clamps and small luan plywood clamp pads standing by and started heating at the fades. to get the limb over enough I place a small pad to use as the fulcrum for the initial bend

I used the wooden clamp to pull the limb around

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2021, 12:09:53 am »
while the "C" clamps and pads pull the limb down on the form. With each clamp I heat the immediate area until I can't hold my thumb on it and clamp.

The clamp on the end brings the crooked end around.

After the corrected spots have been heated and clamped I go over the whole limb with the heat gun then leave it clamped until the next session.
 This is how the stave looked when I first clamped it to the form at the handle. We'll compare this later with the other limb done.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:13:36 am by Pat B »

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2021, 12:25:42 am »
thanks for the build...love the form...it looks exactly like the one I have used since back when Gary Davis let me copy one of his first cauls... if it works, why change it?   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2021, 12:46:25 am »
Gary and Pappy at Twin Oaks inspired this form.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2021, 12:49:57 am »
Gary and Pappy at Twin Oaks inspired this form.

:OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2021, 08:20:55 am »
Looking very good Pat, you are coming right along. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2021, 10:48:42 am »
Thanks, Pappy. It's good to get wood chips under my feet again.  :OK

gutpile

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2021, 02:04:54 pm »
nice thread Pat..4" fades... thats a two handle bow haha... I never profile a bow till I got my back done.. ... thin rings I guess you can get away with it.. definitely eliminates a lot of chasing..gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2021, 02:14:19 pm »
Gut, even though I drew out the handle on the stave I won't cut it out until the bow gets to first brace. As you know this is so I can move the handle and the tips(they are at about 1" now) for that matter to help achieve proper string tracking. The 4" fades are sorta traditional with ALBs so I thought I would go with that option. Generally my fades are 2" in most cases but sometimes even 1 1/2" fades.

gutpile

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2021, 03:06:36 pm »
I was referring to roughing out profile ...side profile... until back is done.. most of my osage is from Ga.. fat rings.. fat earlywood too... ... watching your thread ..looking good.. gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2021, 03:31:15 pm »
Even though I start out drawing a traditional handle from the side view I usually go with a bulbous handle which will change that profile quite a bit in the end.

gutpile

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2021, 03:41:34 pm »
I do exact same thing.. however this 54" I'm piddling with has a very small handle only 1 1/4 at its widest point on bow which will probable get reduced a lil still...handle area is about an inch now but thin due to stave issues ... I kinda like it for now..and its going to get smaller..LOL... gut