Author Topic: Favorite thing to do with a bow/stave?  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Favorite thing to do with a bow/stave?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2021, 01:38:49 am »
Must be the smoke from the campfire or grill! (lol) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2021, 07:17:18 pm »
This is really neat to hear what everyones favorite part is! when you look at it too closely, bowmaking doesnt seem like just making a bow, it all these little parts!

Hawkdancer... I agree on the brussel sprouts sautéed in butter with sea salt, garlic powder, and thyme leaves... but im really just that weird kid that like brussel sprouts and veggies!  (lol)

HH, Ive always wanted to have some fresh raw fish, (sounds weird i know) but here in Nebraska, most all the lakes get runnoff from fields filling them with fertilizer and stuff. If i ever fish outside of nebraska in some clear water, and i have someone around to teach me how to prepare the fish right, I definitally wanna make some sashimi and try different recipies.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline HH~

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2021, 08:45:26 am »
Well, Cooking it is not taking it out-Deer.

When I was fishing lake Ontario many moons ago that Great Lake was so full of heavy metals and PCB's you could only eat 8oz/week week of fish flesh. Eating large ocean fish, big ones Tunas, Marlins, swords also have some heavy metals. I still eat it raw. Like it with Ogo.

Barn full of seasoned and ricked up seasoning staves is a purty sight.

Shawn~

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Fox

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 10:24:10 pm »
hmm raw liver eh? you ever been sick from that HH? id reckon not, healthier then a overcooked grossly handled factory meat...might have to try this, never quite have known how to properly respect the lost life, but I figured using It to the fullest was best I know how.

favorite part of bow making hmm..... probably like others said seeing that first arrow fly from the bow, that and I like when the tiller is looking perfect right at the beginning  :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline HH~

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2021, 09:02:24 am »
Gazing at a large pile of arrow straight matched billets ain't to hard on the eyes neither.

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Parnell

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2021, 09:20:22 am »
I don’t know that I can pick a favorite.  I put down a second course of sinew on an Osage I’m working on, last night.  This morning when heading out to work it was great to check on the bows progress.  It was great to see how the layer had cured up initially after the night.

Sinew work is funny...it’s beauty and the beast.  Pounding and stripping sinew is tedious work.  Enjoying the curing of the work is elegant.

I suppose my favorite part is the development and appreciation of patience at such a greater level.
1’—>1’

Offline scp

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2021, 02:01:54 pm »
I love letting bow staves tiller themselves by using long even strokes from fades to tips with a gooseneck scraper.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2021, 06:10:53 pm »
Gazing at a large pile of arrow straight matched billets ain't to hard on the eyes neither.

Shawn~

Shawn... I just got a great image in my head of amazing Osage staves and billets! Dunno why but it makes me happy to think about! Lol
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline HH~

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2021, 08:08:20 pm »
Just like the Gold Mining show.

"Yella Gold"

HH~