Author Topic: Bamboo / Osage Thickness  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Susquehannock

Bamboo / Osage Thickness
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:11:54 pm »
I would like to make a bbo (first attempt). I have made several self bows and rawhide backed bows. My question is:

How thin should the bamboo be, both at the handle and as it tapers to the tips.
How thin should the osage be when I glue and start to floor tiller?
I know there are better glues out there, but has anyone had success using TBII or TBIII for gluing bamboo and osage together?

Thanks for the advice,

Jason

Offline Susquehannock

Re: Bamboo / Osage Thickness
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:14:34 pm »
sorry, forgot to mention the specs:

trying for something around 55# @26". Probably going to be around 65-67" long and 1.25" wide. I plan to glue in some reflex, but nothing special on the first try.

thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:44:54 pm »
The boo should be about 1/8" thick at the crown at the handle and, after shaping the boo, a slight taper, if any, to the tips. I always pre-tillered the osage belly so at glue up you'll have a nice even bend. Two to 4" of reflex should be plenty. I never measured before or after so I don't know how thick...I just took wood off until I got the tiller and weight I wanted. TBII or TBIII will work fine for osage/boo and is cheap and easy.
   When you prepare the boo, start by sanding the belly side flat, draw and cut out the shape you want and then thin and taper it before glue up.
   You should have no problem achieving 55#@26". With the width and length you have chosen. The bow should last you a lifetime. Take it slow and easy and post lots of pics.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:28:32 pm »
i just  built 2 of them...a long process, you can see in the howto section...

i followed Pat's advice;  he told me pretty much exactly what he told you.  But i made some mistakes which meant i had to narrow the limbs after glue up, which meant the bamboo ended up thicker than i had intended.  Got 70# at 28"...

YOu can make it as narrow as an inch and 62" long, and get 70# at 28"...

enjoy!

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 09:29:14 am »
Pat,
Thank you for the info! This sure helps.

Radius,
I think I started to read your 2 bows post the other week, but I have been busy. I'll have to go back and do some catchin' up. Thanks for the input. Nice bows too!

Jason