Author Topic: Hickory-Short-Sinew build... Tiller time! (pics page 5)  (Read 14088 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Hickory-Short-Sinew build. (Bow sinewed pics page 2)
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 10:10:24 am »
Hmm, it looks pretty good from the pictures but I am wondering about your saying “it’s pulling up from the edges.”  Did you size the back and edges well with thinned glue first?  That is, did many layers of thin glue to build a base?

I have found that I can go back and rework areas like that by re-softening with more warm glue and possibly applying small pieces of sinew...sorta tuck things in, if you catch me.  One thing I like to do is put down a strip of wax paper on the bench top when I sinew as it catches glue but I can also lay out the strips and start to coat them and let them start gelling up, then apply.  I find the more bows I do the more I realize I can work deliberately and not be in such a rush.  I imagine that would perhaps be different if I lived in a more arid climate.  But it’s not a problem in the East, I’d say.

I always enjoy watching the initial cure.  I bet it will turn out well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:20:05 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 10:46:06 am »
are you going to wrap with bike tubes or something to squeeze and flatten the sinew?

Offline Fox

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 11:40:18 am »
Thanks Parnell. I put some warm glue and sinew in the spots that seemed to be pulling up, put and put a some weight on the handle for reflex. It looks much better this morning. I don’t see where was pulling up any more. I did size the back but I think I used maybe slightly too thick glue... and maybe too much? Also on the first layer I dipped the dry sinew into the glue but the sinew didn’t seem plump enough. The second coat I soaked before I dipped in glue.

Gills I am not going to wrap this one... do you recommend wrapping them? Maybe I’ll try doing that next time...
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2021, 11:42:09 am »
How long does it take to start taking reflex ?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2021, 02:24:34 pm »
I think putting a layer of glue on the edges is a good idea,,it wont hurt anything,,
its looking good,,a week or two to start pulling reflex depending on your climate, I think you said it was dry there,,
maybe four weeks ,, be sure and coat the belly with paint or glue, so it does not check to bad,,

gutpile

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2021, 02:44:54 pm »
I would hang a 25 weight from handle and put the tips on two chairs.. and let it dry... gut

Offline Fox

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2021, 02:46:18 pm »
yep, it's really dry here in the house 20% or so.... until summer then it gets nasty and humid... right now I have the bow in the shop suspended from tips with maybe 10# on it. I also put a fan blowing on it. So I can tiller in 3-4 weeks?

Offline Fox

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2021, 02:47:15 pm »
I would hang a 25 weight from handle and put the tips on two chairs.. and let it dry... gut

gut ...Ill add some water to the jug then...

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2021, 05:36:47 pm »
it really depends on how its drying, with a fan, you should be able to start in a few weeks,, usually it will stop pulling reflex when its dry, that might not be totally cured and might pick up a bit of weight, but I have never hurt one tillering after a few weeks,,

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 08:13:39 pm »
I’m not sure I’d blow the fan on it this early and if so not 24 hrs a day.  I think you’ll form a hard shell on the glue locking in moisture and slow the curing overall.  Just my thinking other opinions may vary.  I’ve not fanned a bow but I was taught not to take them outside for a week. They cure pretty fast outside.   That I know for sure even when it’s 55 degrees. 

Offline Fox

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 11:36:29 pm »
Okay. it rained and got super humid in the shop... in the house now and I took the fan off it for now. (trying to keep the dogs off it will be a challenge)  ;D :fp (lol)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2021, 12:43:08 am »
yes dont let the dogs eat it,, its bad for them,, :)
ok but really,, congrats on getting it started,,a great accomplishment so far,, and fun learning process,,
fan or no fan it gonna be ok,, its hard to explain what they feel like when not dry enough to tiller,, but even in Laubins book which you should get, he says he starts after a couple of weeks, and he puts quite a bit of sinew on,,,,says he can tell no difference in waiting longer,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2021, 10:40:37 am »
Thanks for all the help brad  :)

I’m enjoying watching it dry... quite satisfying....

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2021, 01:15:05 pm »
Looks great, Fox.  So did you end up doing two layers of sinew?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2021, 03:55:28 pm »
I love watching the sinew dry, its like watching someone else do all the work,, ;D send some pics now it drying 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 06:18:33 pm by bradsmith2010 »