Author Topic: How should I treat this Osage?  (Read 997 times)

Offline ssrhythm

How should I treat this Osage?
« on: April 23, 2021, 10:38:41 pm »
I've cut osage in Ohio and Indiana and seasoned/stored it in Wyoming; I've only experienced one larvae track/hole.  I just cut an old tree in SC, and it has some rotted areas on some limbs and toward the top of the tree.  There are a lot of really good staves in the tree, but as soon as I started cutting it into stave length sections, I was noticing a pile of the wood wasps that I think were coming out of the holey/rotted areas looking like they were all stinging the bark.  I know this was them laying their eggs.  What do I need to do to kill them all and kill the eggs and larvae that are already there?  I've read that you should soak the southern-cut trees in diesel fuel or Kerosene...I can't remember, but one of those two.  I've also heard folks say to spray it down with some pesticide that I can not remember.  Regardless, I do not want this wood ruined by the little bastages, but more importantly, I don't want to introduce any of the evil critters to my seasoned Indiana and Ohio staves back in Wyoming.  Ill spray it with whatever I need to and soak it with whatever I need to; I just want to know the best course of action before I get on it in the morning.  Thanks.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: How should I treat this Osage?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 10:59:23 pm »
A draw knife taking the bark and sapwood off works for me.Then sealing the back and ends.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How should I treat this Osage?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 12:37:48 am »
What Ed said.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC