Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1537 times)

Offline ATCSGM1957

« on: April 13, 2021, 02:32:23 am »
Howdy Everyone,
I'm looking for suggestions on what type of bow to build from Yellow/Honey Locust. I have several 5'-6' straight(ish) staves that have a 3/4"-1" sapwood exterior, with bark removed and ends sealed. In researching, I found lots of varying opinions of HL's merits as a bow wood. I also found a lack of or very little HL bow data.

My question(s) are not to the merits,  but to who has success with HL bows and their secrets or suggestions? What ideal starting point widths, lengths, and thickness may be? Or should sapwood be removed or X amount remain? Is a backing or sinew backed bow best?

You all have a Great site here, and it's astonishing how much knowledge and experience everyone shares. Hopefully I can have some future input as well.
Bill

Offline mmattockx

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 11:31:36 am »
You will have more luck with your questions in the Bows forum rather than this one. Maybe a mod can move it for you.

Mark

bownarra

Re: Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 03:06:18 pm »
Never made one from honey locust but this holds for any wood that is questionable. Make it longer and wider than 'normal' dimensions. Longer can be cut down and wider means the limbs will also be thinner thus lowering strain.
Make one and see how your wood does. I'd go 68" for 28" draw. Width taper would be pyramid (for quick/easy tillering of a test bow). 2" wide at the fades tapering to 1/2" at the nocks.
If the set is less than 1 1/2" then you can go narrower and or shorter.
Most intermediate woods are better once heat treated.