Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Kidder

Tree ID
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:15:09 pm »
So I’ve got this tree by my office back door and it drives us all nuts. My business partner wants to take it out and I’m wondering if I’m looking at good bow wood, but I can’t seem to ID it and am looking for some help. I had thought it was an ornamental fruitless plum but after its leaves broke I am seriously second guessing my memory/judgment. I’m in Spokane, WA but as I mentioned it’s a planted ornamental so could be from anywhere. It has smooth lobed leaves with hop like cones (definitely not HHB). The leaves cluster on the end of the branches like plum will and the bark is similar to fruit baring plums that I have at home. What is it!

Offline PatM

Re: Tree ID
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:31:15 pm »
May I ask why it's driving you nuts?

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 10:39:17 pm »
May I ask why it's driving you nuts?
It crowds the back awning and leans over the neighbors fence and is in overall disrepair. But it has some amazing, thick, straight, and knotless trunks. I intend to cut it for bow wood, but I’d like to know what I’m working with before I cut it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 01:39:58 am »
Contact the city/county forester or the extension service. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 03:00:28 am »
Or get yourself a good tree ID book ;)
Mine isn't to hand at the moment or else i'd be able to help more!

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 10:00:37 am »
Is there little hairs along the main rib running down the back of the leaf? If so, I would guess some kind of cherry.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline Kidder

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 11:18:13 am »
Someone pointed me to an app for my phone which pretty consistently IDs it as common chokecherry. The only deviation is that for the bark it IDs it as cherry plum. Looking at my Audubon field guid to trees I do think it’s chokecherry but I’m going to watch it daily and see if it flowers and follow up with that info.

Assuming it’s chokecherry what is the collective wisdom on bow wood? Treat it like a white wood and remove the bark and cambium and use that as the back? Rawhide or sinew back it? Dimensions?
Thanks!

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 12:18:42 pm »
I wasn't sure if you had chokecherry in WA, that's a big one!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 02:09:52 pm »
Doesn't look anything like Chokecherry.

Offline Brevi

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 05:01:00 pm »
Wait till summer , see what the fruit looks like , if any.  The flower included in your photo is a good ID feature , arborists , tree sellers may know what tree it is with the photo and a branch with leaves.

Cherries hybridize freely ,  one 5" diam hybrid i cut had softish wood that was poor for bow wood.

The true native chokecherry of southern Interior BC is a shrub with dense hardwood that will make a bow commonly around 3.5- 4ft long but a good one piece stave is uncommon , splicing is an option.

There is mock orange in your area or within a 2 hour drive , very good for a sinew backed bow

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 06:07:43 pm »
Chokecherry is much more wide ranging tree.