Author Topic: Too much character for reflex/recurve?  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Jon_W

Too much character for reflex/recurve?
« on: April 26, 2021, 11:39:10 am »
Is there "too much character" in a bow for it to take reflexed tips? I am working on an HHB bow that has a large knot and a crook on the same limb. I don't have a good picture of it right now but am wondering if reflex will put too much stress on a weirdly shaped limb?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Too much character for reflex/recurve?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 12:32:10 pm »
If you do your part tillering there shouldn't be any problem with the knot and crook.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 12:43:54 pm »
Depends if you are willing to risk all your work going BANG!
It's as simple as that.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 01:56:40 pm »
Thanks guys, I have the bow out to 10" at 55lbs so I have a lot of work to do before I reflex it. Del, I am definitely a little worried about that! But I am looking for a mild reflex in the tip for that little extra zip and a smoother draw. I'll probably risk it if the bow has been holding up fine when I get it pulled farther.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 02:39:40 pm »
I generally have found that most anything I’ve done to a bow limb that has extra character runs a risk of creating a compromise.  What I would have to check would be how the limb will be stressed when drawn.  By that I mean, what vector plane(s) will be stressed on the wonky limb during the draw.  If there’s going to be a lot of torsion type stress that would make me nervous.  ...but if the limbs will move in a single plane as the bow is drawn it’s not as concerning.

OneBow

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 02:48:23 pm »
If some propeller twist was taken out and the bow seemed to be bending along a single plane, that should help then?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 03:33:03 pm »
Any corrections will help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 07:21:37 pm »
If the stave has quite a bit of character then it's best not to introduce a substantial amount of reflex of recurve....keep it mild
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 03:00:44 am »
Yes you've got to realize that character bows are always a compromise. They carry more limb wood to do the same job as clean wood.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 10:27:25 pm »
Pic???
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 10:23:55 am »
Sorry, I don't have a pic of it right now, it's up north where I can work on it. Next time I do work on it I'll snap some more pictures.

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 11:06:09 am »
Alright, here is my bow I am working on.

HHB
68" ntn
looking for 55-60# @ 30"
2" at fades and tapers down where I thought it could
Bottom limb is the one with a lot of character

Any thoughts on putting general backset in the bow while heat treating the belly or doing a mild reflex in the tips? 

Offline bambule

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 02:27:54 pm »
Hmm, for me 68“ would be to short for reliable 30“ draw - even with that drawweight…

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 02:46:52 pm »
Yes it is a bit short for a 30" draw. Make it work into the fades a little (fine line stuff but it will help get the drawlength). I wouldn't recurve the tips due to the tips and handle not lining up. It will still make a flatbow though, you could mildly flip the tips but I wouldn't. A heat treat and reflex the whole limb, maybe only an inch or so. Remember fresh low set wood will give you a fast bow. Adding reflex etc makes that goal harder and you can end up chasing your tail. Keep it simple to start with :)

Offline HH~

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 03:38:44 pm »
Looks good. Question is Why?

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW