Author Topic: praticing for elk season, drew a tag,,  (Read 7570 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

praticing for elk season, drew a tag,,
« on: May 04, 2021, 08:40:16 pm »
   I am shooting my self bow,, its about 58@28 I dont quite draw it that far,, so probably around 55
   I am shooting with a friend and we shoot that the first arrow of the day is the only one that counts,,,it puts pressure on you cause you dont have any warm up shots,,
   I shoot at a water bottle cap size target at 10 yards,, my space is limited,, just to keep my muscles and form in shape,,
   I will began shooting longer when the snow is melted and I can stump shoot on the mountain, but shooting everyday has helped alot, and I am more and more consistant,,
   I do some stretches and half draws to warm up,, shoot my shot, then take a photo and send it to my friend,, the competition keeps us motivated,,and inspired,
   I was able to shoot some longer shots in Texas last week and my form held up on longer shots, so I think the practice is helping,, I can hit the bottle cap at 10 and 15 yards,, just not all the time, buts its fun trying,, good luck with your shooting if you getting ready for hunting

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: praticing for elk season, drew a tag,,
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 10:55:39 pm »
Those elk better watch out (SH)
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 11:31:27 pm »
Good luck Brad! Elk with a selfbow that you made would be quite an accomplishment!

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 12:00:24 am »
That sounds like a great way to shoot... I always find myself back up to far... 10 yards is about all I would feel okay hunting out to which is pretty darn close... I can keep it on a pie plate (mostly) at 20 but wouldn't feel good with "mostly"..... I shoot with friends too.. lots of fun, but they don't shoot except when their with me so it's not too competitive ;D
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 02:05:16 am »
Brad,
Good luck on the hunt, and if you are hunting  in the Rockies, get in great condition, most of the areas are 6,000 ft above sea level or more!

Fox,
You might want to try Brad's bottle cap idea.  Paper plate is a good start, but little spot gets you shooting better.  I was lucky enough to score a deer target in natural shades and the kill zone outlined in black.  No spots!  I don't recall ever seeing a deer or elk with an aiming dot, though! :-D (SH) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 09:35:14 am »
That's why you send your guide out with a paintball gun the day before.  (lol) (lol)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 02:43:51 pm »
That's why you send your guide out with a paintball gun the day before.  (lol) (lol)

"Hey dave.... i think theres an elk comin!"
"all right bill! im ready!"
"here he is, dave...get ready.. remember, aim small hi--- HOLY SMOKES IT PURPLE!!!"
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 03:36:32 am »
Russell, 
I want to score some of that stuff, but it ain't legal in Nebraska!! (lol) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 12:10:03 pm »
   I am shooting my self bow,, its about 58@28 I dont quite draw it that far,, so probably around 55

What are you using for arrows/tips and how far is a reasonable shot for you on an elk? Did you get a bull or a cow tag?

Elk with a selfbow that you made would be quite an accomplishment!

Gotta agree with that, it would be a fantastic accomplishment to take a large, tough animal like an elk with a weapon you made yourself.

Mark

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 11:58:21 am »
My strategy for the upcoming elk hunt is as follows.

-will be using a commercial made horsebow (can't get a self bow to handle the ultra low humidity and elevations here) but the plan is shootshafts with home forged single bevel broadheads.  Total arrow weight is looking to come in over 700 grains. If the shoots don't work out I'll use bamboo or douglas fir shafts.

-right now I place small bullseyes on hay bales at the range and move them to different locations so I don't get used to shooting in the same spot. 

-in July I will stop using anything that acts as a bullseye.  I will pick a spot on the hay bales and see how close I can get to it.  Critters don't have a bullseye obviously, and I find this helps alot with target panic and just simply putting the arrows where you want them to go.

- in August I'll start shooting on life sized elk targets.  Either cardboard cutouts I'll paint to look more real, or I'll order some 2D targets.  Elk are huge compared to a deer and its way too easy to misjudge distance because that size makes them appear closer than they actually are.

-when I start shooting the life size targets I will treat the first shot of the session as if it were the holy of holies.

ETA: elk are tough critters.  Make sure your gear is set up around max penetration.  If you only get one lung, they can and will recover.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:18:34 pm by Mesophilic »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 03:31:48 pm »
I live here in Santa Fe its 7000,,,I will do stump shooting on the mountain, at 11,000 to get in shape,,

I can shoot bull or cow,, I would like say out to 25 yards is a good range,,

this is from this morning practice at 10 yards,, I backed up to 19 to put some pressure on some friends yesterday, and got lucky and hit the cap,,

Im gonna shoot a simmons 165 grain or ziwickey  two blade,, total arrow weight 600 to 700 grains depending on the shaft I use,, spruce or maple,,

I mostly shoot one arrow at a time, but sometimes if my time is limited I will shoot several at a time to stay in shape,,

Im hoping for a good close shot,,Im old and patient,,so I just enjoy the whole process,, getting in shape and practice shooting for the hunt,, I can get a bear tag,, too, and turkey tag,, so its exciting,,

Im just happy my shooting is going well and Im keeping the pressure on the younger guys to work hard on their shooting,,

an osage self bow will handle any low humidity,, Im in high desert,,

if you think your climite is really harsh, then just get or make one a bit overbuilt,, it will handle it,, I would make one for you with life time gaurentee but Im having too much fun shooting,, :D

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:34:13 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline RandyN

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 10:02:29 pm »
One thing Brad is forgetting to tell you is, he's a great shot. He puts the pressure on everyday we shoot. He's a great inspiration. I will be hunting with my self bow also. Brad and I started this competition around the first of February. His daily pressure has made me a better shot. Its easy to see the transformation in my shooting since the first day.
My goal is to always hit the cap but I'm happy when I shoot my first shot within a couple inches of the cap. By September 1st we'll be ready for the elk, turkey, bear, grouse, and more stumps. I keep telling Brad we have to quit stump shooting long enough to find the elk.
Good luck to everyone on your practice and hunts.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 07:01:54 am »
Brad does seem like the type that would be too modest to tell you he is a great shot, "if I can hit the bottle cap anyone can. Oh this necklace I'm wearing, that's my Olympic gold archery medal."
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 11:50:53 am »

Im gonna shoot a simmons 165 grain or ziwickey  two blade,, total arrow weight 600 to 700 grains depending on the shaft I use,, spruce or maple

Have you looked at the Tusker broadheads?  If I can't get my homemade broadheads to work I'm eyeballing their Concord model.  Priced pretty good at 6 for $25.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 12:03:39 pm »
Brad,  you guys should come up to Los Alamos and shoot some 3D with us.  Every Wed night at the Sportsman Club about 5 pm through the summer.  $5 per night or $40 for the season.
-Homer Simpson-