Author Topic: lumber  (Read 6650 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
lumber
« on: May 25, 2021, 05:16:29 pm »
I just bought a 1" by 12" eight feet long for shelving for Robins' canning jars.It cost $29.50.Outrageous!!!!!
Looks like I'll be getting lumber from my Amish friends' saw mill in the future.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:21:47 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: lumber
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 05:20:47 pm »
I think that would have been at least $20 at Lowes here when I last checked a few months back.  It is pine I take it.  What price is it normally for you?   

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 05:23:52 pm »
2 tears ago it was $13.00.4' by 8' 3/4" treated plywood is $120.00 a sheet.Used to be $30.00.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 06:37:31 pm »
7/16 osb sheathing of all things is right at $50 a sheet here. Was the cheapest sheet material you could get for sheathing. I needed 6 sheets of it and wound up getting 3/4” because it was $10 a sheet cheaper as if that makes any sense at all. Just built a small 10’x12’ goat barn as cheaply as I possibly could and have $1700 in it. Last spring the same barn would have cost me right at $700 to build going off of lumber receipts I have from then. An 8’ 2x4 stud is $8 for crying out loud. It’s nuts.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:41:32 pm by Morgan »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 08:52:03 pm »
I hear ya Morgan.I'm glad I got the extra construction already done on my place,but I've always had thoughts of making a heated bow making shop.I could tan hides in there too.
It's not only lumber that's sky rocketing in price.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 09:35:59 pm »
It's not only lumber that's sky rocketing in price.
What else are you referring to, labor, furs, gas, or everything?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 05:18:30 am »
Gas and food too.Not generally everything,but that could happen too.We'll see.It might be different demographically in some parts of the country.I'm just speaking locally here.Parts suppliers have shortages for business owners and independent businessmen like farmers.
Fur has taken a hit long ago and never fully recovered.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 10:50:07 am »
I saw that the lumber price gouging had raised the construction cost of an average house up 36K.

My son's house in Austin has jumped from the $550K purchase price to over 900K in the last year because of the deep pocket refugees from California and the lumber price.

I don't buy much lumber but my bee trap material (doug fir 4X4X8) from HD jumped from $12 to $20 in the last year.

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 12:17:43 pm »
YUP, 2 by 4 here in Michigan is $10.00.  I stopped by a garbage bin in front of a guys house the other day and tossed a bunch of scrap  wood in my truck. I lost my pride in 67 while in the Marines, lol

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 12:28:31 pm »
Don't shoot, but I thought is wasn't so much gouging as excessive demand and short supply, I wonder if the suppliers have really increased their margin much, I understand a lot of the mills shut down for a while. 

Remember the food and TP shortage a year ago?  When a lot of the meat processing plants where down a lot of livestock was thrown out last year.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 01:58:17 pm »
Don't shoot, but I thought is wasn't so much gouging as excessive demand and short supply

Yep. There is no such thing as gouging, just markets at work balancing supply and demand.

We are in the middle of building a house at the moment. On April 1 when we finalized the contract 2x6x9ft studs were $16 each. Last week they were $23. Last summer I bought 3/4" spruce construction grade plywood for $46/sheet. It is currently $102 and there are quantity limits on buying at the local Home Depot. Crazy times we live in.

Mark

Offline HH~

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 05:28:54 pm »
Yep, yankees movin in here too. Flush with cash from left coast and NE home sales. They were crushing old homes but now the old lumber is so pricey they scabbing it out! Stud, rafters , joices! Worth 10$ for a wall stud for good stuff if you yank nails. Not hard as they were put in with a hammer. Use to trac how them down throw in dumpster. Not anymore, worth it to pay 3 mexicani’s to tear it out and demail it. Seasoned wood, good.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 10:26:36 am »
The supply is no short at all.  The main lumber suppliers are price gouging and holding warehouses full of stock piled to the ceilings.  It’s all BS.  There is no shortage.  The suppliers are all in it together to raise prices because they know the demand for construction is up.  They should be prosecuted for price gouging.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 11:33:46 am »
holding warehouses full of stock piled to the ceilings

That's a pretty serious claim to be making without giving any evidence.  Competitive markets just don't work like that, you can't coordinate every lumber supplier in the country, if what you said was true any one supplier could make a huge profit by selling it all at slightly below market price, so all of them would try that and the price would drop.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 02:36:34 pm »
Not sure where this is going but don’t look to be heading in a good direction, the thread I am talking about, so please don’t let this get out of hand 😉 Thanks Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good