Author Topic: bamboo backing: wood glue or epoxy?  (Read 5209 times)

Offline freke

Re: bamboo backing: wood glue or epoxy?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2021, 04:41:16 am »
A have one project a head, bamboo/yew so I read this with intrests.

Regarding Epoxy;
Are there any alternatives to EA-40?
What makes the epoxy in smaller package in iron stores not suitable, for example I found one that had a couple of hour open time that at least would give me enough time, but what else properties to look for?

Thanks Jonas

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2021, 05:08:13 am »
I think the question has been answered... to ask why some other unspecified adhesive ins't suitable is a bit of an open ended question*.
Read the data sheets, compare the figures with those for the stuff that has already been recommended.
If you find one that looks like it might work, try it if you are willing to risk the time and effort... then report back to us as I'm sure we'd like to find another reliable easy to buy affordable adhesive.
I, for one have spend countless hours reading engineering data sheets from some of the big engineering supply firms, E-mailing their technical/applications departments etc. (usually on company time  :o ::) ). The result being I recommend Cascamite or TBIII, I didn't really think I'd be asked to explain my recommendation, but I'm happy to. I expect a lot of others have been through the same search as me.
Del
* One answer is quality control, some own brand stuff bay be from random suppliers, may be past it's shelf life, may not all be from the same batch and may be totally different next time you buy it. I use cheap 5 minute own brand epoxy for non critical, applications only.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2021, 05:18:03 am »

The epoxies typically used for gluing on backings by most come pre-thickened and need no additives.

Thanks - somewhere on Primitive archer I read someone post that these “thickened” epoxies are not as strong as the unthickened versions. That’s why I was curious.

Not enough to worry about if true.

This made me curious enough to look at the TDS for West System G-Flex vs West 105 ... and there does seem to be quite a difference in strength between the two ...

Offline PatM

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2021, 12:53:10 pm »
Those differences are  mainly due to other reasons though.  Considering that G-flex is an excellent bow glue, your concerns are unfounded.

A good compromise is to mix G- Flex and 105 half and half.  That will put you at a more typical bow building epoxy range if it makes you feel better.