Author Topic: Glass point  (Read 2923 times)

Offline M2A

Glass point
« on: June 13, 2021, 10:57:30 pm »
My youngest son hopes to work on a project to improve a local cemetery. A few weeks ago he and I were over there speaking with some of the folks that maintain the grounds. As I was following along I came across an old glass bottle bottom. After I had carried it for a while the fella asked to take it from me so he could throw it away. He gave me a funny look when i told him i'd hang onto it and if I'm luck be able to knap a point from it.

I never had much luck with glass before but was feeling pretty lucky today so figured I'd give it a go. I figured a few air bubbles in it would give me trouble but didn't seem to affect things and you can still see 2 of them in the finished point. I like to keep things simple but had the lenght so tried some notching. Not overly thin but not bad. was happy to get the natural curve out of it and get it flaked all over.

Doubt the guy will remember an old broken bottle but figure when my boys project is finished I'll give the point to the grounds keeper for his help.

IMG_4203 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4204 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4205 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Glass point
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 07:30:18 am »
I’m pretty sure the grounds keeper will not only remember, but be very surprised.

Nice point Mike.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 12:20:13 pm »
Turned out nice he should like it.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 07:55:26 am »
Well done, I still pick up old bottles on job sites. Old Milk of Magnesia bottle bottom. John

Offline M2A

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 07:39:40 am »
Thanks BJ, Rob, John. Cool Blue point John!
Mike

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 02:23:56 pm »
Looks good!
1’—>1’

Offline RickB

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 08:00:05 pm »
Nice point. Thanks for showing it to us.