Author Topic: 5 curve question  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Mad Max

5 curve question
« on: June 05, 2021, 09:41:20 pm »
I want to make a caul for this and wanted to get some input.

64" NTN (EDIT  Osage self bow)---nock is 4-3/4" in front of the back of the bow grip.
Is that to much to start with?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:48:25 am by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline RyanY

Re: 5 curve question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 11:48:27 pm »
Seems like a lot for a wood bow depending on the materials or if it’s a lam vs selfbow. I think sometimes the deflexed curves reduce the setback more significantly. Certainly could be done but would likely require wider working limbs given the shorter working limb section.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 08:49:01 am »
Osage selfbow ;)
How much will it loose coming off the caul?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 09:03:47 am by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 09:14:15 am »
Just thinking out loud here, but as Ryan said, if wide enough it will work.  I would think it will end up even or plus 1".  With an exceptional piece of wood and great tiller, maybe more.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 11:37:32 am »
I think if you kept 2.5” of reflex you’d be doing pretty dang good.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 12:18:24 pm »
Just thinking out loud here, but as Ryan said, if wide enough it will work.  I would think it will end up even or plus 1".  With an exceptional piece of wood and great tiller, maybe more.

I do have some heavy dense staves  ;)
How wide 1-5/8"?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 01:07:37 pm »
I’d go 2” wide but I don’t mind going wider compared to most people. Considering the amount of reflex and the short working limb, I don’t think that’s unreasonable in Osage. If it’s not taking any set you can always narrow it.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 01:15:50 pm »
I ask are you thinking pyramid or parallel?  1.75 maybe 2 inches. You can always narrow it. I have done a handful of 5 curves. They look sweet, but I don’t see much of an impact on performance with A setback handle. The Plains Style 5 Curves look cool regardless.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 04:24:09 pm »
I ask are you thinking pyramid or parallel?

A mix between the two.

This is ash flat bow 2-1/2" at the fades 3/16" at the nock

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:30:33 pm by Mad Max »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 05:09:31 pm »
Will it flex in the handle?  If you go semi pyramid and it bends a bit in the handle you can go a bit more narrow.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 07:15:20 pm »
yes

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 07:52:57 pm »
So, spit balling, but 1.75” at the fades. Slight taper to mid limb, and then taper from there to your tips at 3/8”. 1 5/8” at the fades is probably good. You can narrow (side tiller) if it is holding its shape. Don’t know your skill level or the quality of the stave but that is my 1st take. Measure the setback and monitor it as you progress. Get the tiller right, and get it bending up to the handle. Get your last inch or so from the handle. If it is taking little to no set at 15 inches, you can narrow it if you wish. Just a tad. I still think it will likely lose the reflex, taking set mid limb. See what others may add or subtract, but if it were mine...

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 09:30:45 am »
Top one---Maybe this would be a Better profile

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 10:11:03 am »
Certainly your call, but a few thoughts...success on these wooden bows is measured in small increments. Adding a little here returns positive results. Adding a lot, returns the same...or less.  Admittedly, I have gone radical on some designs and will do so again, but I have lots of bows and can afford the risk of losing one. Keeping a more moderate design simply gives you a better chance at finishing one that holds up over time. 

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 04:10:32 pm »
Thanks for the Info
I have 10 staves of Osage