Author Topic: Tiller Recommendation Updated with Pics! Help on my assessment please!  (Read 3956 times)

330bull

Hello,

Basic Information:
I have just built a hazelnut bow that is ~70# @ 26", 58" ntn.  It has zero handshock, shoots exactly where I point it, and it retains reflex just a few hours after I'm done shooting.  Putting it bluntly, it's a perfect hunting bow if you ask me and I really don't want to mess with it.

Problem:
When I measure for tiller when braced, the upper limb tiller is ~1/16" of an inch less than the lower limb tiller.  Both of these measurements take place 3" above the shelf and 3" below the handle.  This may not be that big of a deal since I only shoot with two finger; one above & one below.

Questions:
1. Should I even care about the tiller dimension differences?
2. Does it even matter that the tiller is about equal?
3. I have always "shot" for a weaker upper limb so that it measures ~1/8" more than the lower limb.  Is this even right?

Thanks in advance and I know most of you will ask for a full draw pic...I may post one tonight but I'm trying like heck to "feel" the bow rather than critique a bow by what a picture says.  That bit me in the butt last time.   :-[

Joe

Update:  OK I shot this bow about 50x tonight and it's still shooting great!  However I can easily see the stiff upper limb and how much harder the lower limb is working.  I placed a dark red line where I think I should scrape the upper limb to make for a more balanced tiller.  Does everyone agree?  Any input is appreciated!  Thanks!  Joe  Ps. As of right now this is ~63# @ 26".

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:59:34 pm by Joe Klink »

Offline Dano

Re: Help or recommendation on Tiller Dimension Please
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:21:29 pm »
First thing is maybe your not measuring right, if you find center of the bow and measure 6" above and 6" below do you still have positive tiller? Measuring from the shelf and from the handle are not the same if your shelf is 1 1/4" above center like most bows.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 06:27:10 pm »
Joe- I think you should leave it alone,   too  much pos. tiller usually results in too much hand shock.  If it's shooting good leave it.  I think that the idea of the pos/ neg tiller at brace dosn't matter nearly as much on wood bows as glass bows.  Wood bows have so many irregularities that you don't find with glass bows.  If the tiller looks good when drawing I saw that's what counts.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:31:57 pm »
Are the limbs the same length?
Gordon

330bull

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 06:52:09 pm »
Upper Limb = 29" and measures xxx ~ 3" above the shelf

Lower Limb = 27"  and measure xxx+.060" 3" below the bottom of the handle.

See attached pic and thanks for everyone's help!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:57:35 pm »
If the limbs are different length it changes everything.  If it shoots good do NOT mess with it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:38:12 pm »
I use asymetrical limbs like you and prefer 1/4" positive tiller on the top limb (at least that's what John Strunk taught me). Since there is more strain on the lower limb I like it to be a little more stiff. I don't know if it is really necessary, but if you're at 70# it seems you have plently of reserve to make a correction if you want. You'd probably only lose a few pounds at most. I generally break in my bows before I make final tiller adjustments. You may want to do that because it could either get worse, better, or stay the same after you put about 500 arrows through it.
Gordon

330bull

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:05:42 pm »
Great advice by everyone.  I like the idea of shooting a bunch of arrows before I do anything hasty... :-[  This was the first bow I have ever made that has required such little, if not any, tiller adjustments.

After 50 arrows yesterday the tiller has not changed at all.

Thanks again for everyone's support and I'll post full draw pics tonight for tiller critique.

Joe

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:10:28 pm »
Holy Schematic ;D, That's some computer technical stuff right there.  Don't do anything hasty.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
That tells you a lot right there ,if you have shot it 50 shots and nothing has changed that
is a very good thing,must be close to right,like said above it ant glass and can't always
be tillered that way.I prefer 1/4 to 3/8 pos. tiller on the top limb but I usually make mine the same length.Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

I think it looks pretty good Joe, I don't like to over analyze bow making, I just have fun, I aim for a decent tiller but don't get to carried away with
the technical stuff. After 50 shots I say any real obvious flaws would have shown up. If your at weight and the bow shot good why mess with it? If the
top limb is stif a few scrapes and I'd say your there, finish it and enjoy.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Hey Joe, 60 thou (only 1.5mm for us Yurrupeans) is nothing in tillering, as far as I know.  I think you can over-analyse this kind of thing  ;)

//bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719