Author Topic: Hunting in buckskins  (Read 12424 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Hunting in buckskins
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 02:21:33 am »
Some commercial tanners sell smoked leather.  It is tanned in the commercial manner, but smoked to change the color.  I cant tell you why it didn't work on yours, but smoke will color anything on the surface at least.  If they are commercial tanned they are already about as waterproof as they will get without some harsh chemical treatment.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 07:29:24 am »
I had to do some cutting because the legs and arms were a bit to long, tryed on those and the coconut oil looks like the tiket, I was thinking about "montana pich blend" but I only have half a can left, and that's not quite enought
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 11:44:52 am »
I bet the Coconut Oil will work....I have also darkened Leather with Olive Oil too....worked good
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 05:16:27 am »
Did darken them a bit with coconut oil, now i look like when you leave the mustard bottle open and it dries out a bit ;D ::) ;D ::)

Just got back from an evening hunt wearing my newly dark mustard color skins, the problem tonite was the smell, I got into a lot of pigs but got busted like never before, I was hoping that the smokey smell would fool the pigs a bit, no way the buggers wher taking of like I've never seen before. .....better make sure i get rid of the smoky smell before I take thenm back into the woods.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 07:45:37 am »
Once again Manny Pig Poop
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 07:47:30 am »
Dana......What the Heck are you doing up this early....or late....depmeding how you look at it????
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 02:47:02 pm »
Get a bunch of brush from arround where you hunt and put your skins and brush together in a bag and let it hang over night. Should help...a bit!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 05:47:34 pm »
oooooooooooor,

go buy ya some artificial scent and spray it on.  >:D
lets just shoot it

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 07:19:55 pm »
I'm gonna go collect some lemon eucalypus leaves and try see if I can get rid of the smokey smell, in the maen time the outfit is unging on my lanai where wind blows consistently ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 07:22:38 pm »
Its going to take alot of leaves to get the smell out but maybe not with Euc. Thats strong stuff!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 05:17:32 pm »
don't know if you died you skins yet but wallnut hulls crushed up in water will die it brown and if you add iron fillings it will die it black, works good on braintan, should work on your skins too.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »
i gotta write that down. by the way, where did you get yer shirt made? my dady wants one.
lets just shoot it

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 04:05:22 pm »
I've used olive oil & beeswax mixed 50/50 on leather. I don't believe anything will truly waterproof leather. Just kind of slow it down. It does darken the leather quite a bit. Just rub it in with your fingers & then use a hair dryer to heat every thing & it will really soak in. Had really good luck on knife sheaths with this mix.

Hope it helps.
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 05:58:03 pm »
Would like to see some pics of those skins sometime.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston