Author Topic: Tiller advice needed  (Read 3931 times)

Offline scp

Re: Tiller advice needed
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2021, 09:05:06 am »
Sorry, I forgot about the low draw weight. I don't like to work with sinew. Even though I don't do laminated bows, I occasionally backed bows. I don't know why you cannot "back" the belly, instead of just doing partial underlays. I am not sure I have ever done that myself. I might have just thought about doing that. Nowadays my memory and wishful thinking keep on blurring their boundaries, mainly because I post here as a distraction from work. All depends on what we want from our bows. Good luck.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 09:37:09 am »
 I have a set of different length gizmos  that are really help full for tillering purposes right from the start for me any how stick.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 03:08:26 pm »
Now drawn to 18, there is mid-limb set, the tips are not quite touching a flat surface an hour after unstringing,  I suspect it will have all pulled out by the morning.  I'm not happy with it, its still unbalanced,  tips still too stiff
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:00:39 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 06:26:06 pm »
Unless you make a gizmo you will keep chasing tiller, it is not a disgrace to use one.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2021, 07:33:06 pm »
Not a disgrace,  and I do use them, in fact, I find them invaluable, but, although this bow will be arc of circle, my preferred shape is elipse, where a gizmo is much less useful , so, I am trying to train my eye to operate without relying on it

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 03:16:33 pm »
I'm moving on to my next project but I still tinker with this occasionally. Just given it a light heat treat which raised draw weight to 30@22.  The limb centres are working too hard and the tips need softening some. Any thoughts?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 05:59:52 pm »
Bottom looks decent. Top is out of wack. The gizmo is a good tool as is the straight edge. Nearly 30 years and I use one, every build. You can always use a little “figerin’”. If the inners will stay stiffish, just use these tools from some point past the fades. Your tillering eye will love you for it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2021, 05:53:47 pm »
 Use your gizmo all the way to the tip on the top limb. You could also get the handle itself bending to share some of the load. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas