Author Topic: Ostrich Sinew?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Gimlis Ghost

Ostrich Sinew?
« on: July 31, 2021, 11:26:14 pm »
Probably a dead end academic question but has anyone experimented with sinew from the Ostrich or any other large flightless birds?
What brought the question to mind was a video on a device a guy recently created to mimic the ability of of the Ostrich's leg tendons to store energy of it's feet impacting the ground and release it for the next step as it runs.
Wearing his device he can run at 25+ miles per hour for extended periods.
These tendons look to be very long and might be useable as a backing material.

I'm sure we have some members from down  under.
The Aborigine seem not to have taken to the bow, preferring the Atlatl other ranged weapons, so I doubt there is much historical data on the subject. They may have used it for bindings I suppose.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ostrich Sinew?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 11:35:21 pm »
I've used emu sinew on a bow, the Massey Medicine bow I posted not long ago. It had deer and emu sinew on the back. I've heard of folks using ostrich sinew on bows. Also a real long sinew bundle in a kangaroo's tail.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 11:40:50 pm »
there was a guy at MoJam many years ago that sold hundreds of ostrich sinew pieces...I bought a hundred.  I have successfully made dozens of sinew backed bows with it.  Mickey Lotz made one and called it "Big Bird" as I remember...it works...
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 02:31:19 am »
I've used a fair bit of it. Other than being a bit 'greasy' and the fibers a little more fragile whgen splitting......it's ok but not as good as leg sinew from moose/elk/deer.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 02:57:36 am »
Excellent informative replies, thank you all.
.it's ok but not as good as leg sinew from moose/elk/deer.

Perhaps because the birds are relatively light in weight?

I would guess that the springiness of the Ostrich tendon is as much due to the mechanical advantages of the bipedal frame and long feet as to the makeup of the tendon itself.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 06:48:25 am »
Ostrich sinew is very good, when air dried. When oven dried, what is mostly for pet food, it gets brittle.
I like that stuff and have made many sinewed bows from it.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 02:57:02 am »
Ostrich sinew is very good, when air dried. When oven dried, what is mostly for pet food, it gets brittle.
I like that stuff and have made many sinewed bows from it.

It must be air dried. that is prerequisite. It is good enough for wooden bows not so great for hornbows.