Author Topic: Questions about strings  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Questions about strings
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2021, 06:31:48 am »
"I'm certain that something was not done exactly right with the glue line and/or glue-up on these failures, but I'm equally certain that none of the boyers that experienced the failures thought that they were doing or realized that they did anything wrong."

People never do, right? Or they wouldn't have done it.

If you're certain is was substandard gluing practices at fault, then just do as they should have... do it right... without over complicating it. Overlays will NOT come off if good gluing practices are 'adhered to'. You can if you wish, but there is absolutely no need for drilling holes and installing pins.

Bassman, I had a string break mid-string and it was precisely where I soaked a tied on nock point(dental floss) with thin viscosity superglue. Maybe because it was thin viscosity? Did it harden it? Did it partially melt/degrade it? That stuff can get quite hot as it dries. I don't know, it was a long time ago, but I've been a lot more hesitant to use it since that 'exciting' moment when my bow turned into a throwing stick of sorts at full draw  :)
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bassman211

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 06:32:29 am »
On the gla-- backed limb score both surfaces to be glued with a hack saw blade,and use AD40 smooth on for the bond, and lightly clamp.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 06:42:11 am »
I just use a couple drops of glue ,and lightly wipe on the serving with plastic a baggie. Not telling any one to use my method ,but it has worked for me with no problems. I use it on strings that are 8 strands of B55. If you have any doubt in your mind don't use it.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2021, 08:22:28 am »
I started adding overlays (not a flipped tip like the image earlier) because my 50# hickory long bow started showing some wear after a couple thousand shots. Loosing a overlay wouldn't stop my hunt, but it would annoy me if I did something stupid to cause it, which would  likely be the case.
Don

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2021, 08:23:56 am »
I believe ya. But I won't being doing it. I have no need to.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bassman211

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 07:05:08 pm »
I understand. One other thing I would mention is that no part of the main string makes contact with the crazy glue.