Author Topic: Siouw brain tanned & smoked shirt  (Read 10188 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Siouw brain tanned & smoked shirt
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 09:32:36 pm »
Thanks fellas....I just wish more people on the PA were more into these kind of things.It's good to compare and display each others work.
Peatreg and Spotted dog used to show some of their work in the past.They took it to a higher level yet than any of my work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 10:10:47 pm »
Well Robin is a pest [she admits it] and I told her so too....ha ha.She insisted I put on the pants and mocs for pictures too.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 04:37:03 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 11:13:59 pm »
Very nice. Right out of the 1800s.  )P(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 03:48:30 am »
VERY Nice  (A) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 05:31:00 am »
Great work
I especially like the bead work design on the back  :OK

Offline BrianS

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2021, 07:02:35 am »
Excellent!

gutpile

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2021, 11:15:19 am »
you're going to have to lay beadwork in belly if that beard gets much longer... :BB.. gut

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2021, 04:13:02 pm »
I guess gut,but that's my goal to have a beard clear down to my belly button.....ha ha.I want to mention I really like the work you've shown on here too.How's them scrapers doing?
 For those speculating with no valid insight given as to whether my references are correct here's my reference for a shirt such as this.It can be as elaborate as anyone wants to make.Sky is the limit.I have plenty of horse hair locks I could of put on this one but chose not to at the moment.Shirts like these can be further decorated as time goes on too.
There are patterns I'll show from my reference on womens dresses also.I made Robin a dress some time ago.Hers' was made like pattern d.

Its a publication called The Mystic Warriors of the Plains by Thomas E Mails.A well known investigtor of the northern plains indian life style.His artistry and authenticty can be seen in gallerys around the world.
It is a well known publication of the northern plains indian's life style,culture,religion,clothing,and weapons.
I've had this book for 40 years.It might not even be in publication any more.
I do know the book was'nt cheap.Around $70.00 if I remember correctly.

Here's the simple patterrn.This one is blackfoot,but many northern tribes utilized the hide approximately in the same way for clothing depending on what their enviornment was like and type of game available to them.The difference between them was mostly the type of quill/beadwork or dyed & appendages attatched they were adorned with for personal reasons.I feel these type shirts were not their usual utilitarion type clothing used for every day use.Although the decorations on them were statements of status,belief, and accomplishments.

A little about Thomas E. Mails.The copyright on this book is 1972.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:22:57 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2021, 12:19:35 pm »
Thats just beautiful, the whole outfit. I started a pair of pants over the winter. Found i have to resize the waist abit, not gonna be all fancy but some fringe. I plan on wearing them for hunting season this year. I did some drywall work for a guy afew years ago and traded the work for a nice buckskin shirt he had.I just feel it would round out the whole "primitive" aspect... again amazing work
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2021, 03:44:25 pm »
Real nice work, Ed!  hope to get my hides tanned this winter, and have enough leather to make a shirt for me and a dress for Jacie.  We aren't doing much primitive camping, etc, but I hope to get in a hunt or 2 this fall!
Hawkdancer   
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2021, 03:55:43 pm »
There's an updated version of that book. A paperback version is reasonable. I just ordered one.

Excellent work for sure. I'll probably stick with quivers and sheathes for a while, but it's nice to dream!  )P(
Don

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2021, 05:43:03 pm »
Thanks fellas.They do take a bit of time and thought to make.Your only limited by your own imagination I like to say.In the past going to many buckskin rendezvous's [some as large as 700 camps] we are all dressed up in skins and many ideas can come to mind for your own outfit.I've seen some astounding work done by fellow buckskinners.Quivers,gun cases,bags,shields and more are all at rendezvous.A large diversity of crafts.
To start a craft yourself for your own articles books are a good way to learn.That's what I did.
Bucskin rendezvous are a blast.Weapons everywhere.Smoke from camp fires.Traders making deals and meeting interesting people.Contests of shooting and hawk and knife throwing.Craftsmen doing their thing.A little like bow making gatherings but on steriods.
To me making articles from the animals you harvested is a gratifying closure to the hunt.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:28:00 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2021, 06:33:16 am »
I got a pair of large hides I'll make another pair of pants from later this year.34" inseam on those pants.

I'll use the neck portions on these hides to make 4 way braided lace carrying straps for the possible bags I'll make later.
Future prospect for more items.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:39:44 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2021, 07:58:12 am »
There's an updated version of that book. A paperback version is reasonable. I just ordered one.

Excellent work for sure. I'll probably stick with quivers and sheathes for a while, but it's nice to dream!  )P(
Yes I've just looked on the internet and there is a series of updated books out there from him even though he has deceased back in 2001.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2021, 08:14:52 am »

Yes I've just looked on the internet and there is a series of updated books out there from him even though he has deceased back in 2001.

The new version was published in 1995
Don