Author Topic: Siouw brain tanned & smoked shirt  (Read 10014 times)

Offline wooddamon1

Re: Siouw brain tanned & smoked shirt
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2021, 11:35:16 pm »
WOW! Great work!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2021, 09:51:00 am »
Don W......I was into buckskinning and belonged to a club for quite a few years quite a while before starting to make bows.I've got friends that went on a floating trip from the head waters of the big Mo in their own log dug out canoes they made.Experiencing the same route Lewis and Clark went on.I'm sure it was a blast.
I keep quite a few books in my personal library on different skills.Something anyone can still do themselves.Back then there was no internet so you were on your own learning.It sure helped going to rendezvous to see the work of others and talking to them too.
I met the "Praire Wolf" John Mcphearson at a rendezvous in New Ulm,Minnesota.Very interesting knowledgeable fella.
Sort of the same thing now as to going to bow making gatherings.I encourage any new bow makers to make a few of these events if they can find the time.Your learning curve will shorten some.There's nothing like pulling your own shavings to learn when you get home though.
Peace. :OK
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2021, 12:38:11 pm »
Don W......I was into buckskinning and belonged to a club for quite a few years quite a while before starting to make bows.I've got friends that went on a floating trip from the head waters of the big Mo in their own log dug out canoes they made.Experiencing the same route Lewis and Clark went on.I'm sure it was a blast.
I keep quite a few books in my personal library on different skills.Something anyone can still do themselves.Back then there was no internet so you were on your own learning.It sure helped going to rendezvous to see the work of others and talking to them too.
I met the "Praire Wolf" John Mcphearson at a rendezvous in New Ulm,Minnesota.Very interesting knowledgeable fella.
Sort of the same thing now as to going to bow making gatherings.I encourage any new bow makers to make a few of these events if they can find the time.Your learning curve will shorten some.There's nothing like pulling your own shavings to learn when you get home though.

I have enough books and magazines to fill a closet myself. In the 90's i went through a gunsmithing phase. My favorite deer rifle is a custom '06 i built off a mauser action. I like to write, which is why i maintain a couple web sites. I've written a couple books which got me into publishing. https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B07NCNJYY2 If there is something new to build, I'll probably try it.
Probably my first leather project was this holster I made for my pellet pistol. I was probably 14 or 15. I hope to retire soon, so I'll have more time to head out to more of the gatherings.

A resent quiver. Had I known a bit more, I may have reversed it so the hair was inside. I just keep trying stuff to see what sticks.

This was from the good side of a pair of pants cut off for shorts (the other side had a mishap with a chainsaw)

Don

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2021, 06:31:34 pm »
Cool....Whatever works to your liking.Nice pistol holder.Good use of material for your quiver too.I've never gotten into blacksmithing and forging though,but do have and appreciate my buckskinning friends that are artists of their craft.There is a thread on the PA for forging too.
I guess my book is in my head Don.I let my reputation speak for itself.I please myself for my buckskinning/coon hunting/and now bow making carrers.I do give things that I make a thorough testing for handiness and duability.All I need is an idea or inspiration and most times I can get it to work.
I feel anyone can pursue these things for themslves too.It just takes a desire to do so.
I've made long gun cases and pistol holders out of leather long ago too and now many quivers and other archery related items.Others on here Like Pat has shown some terrific pistol holders he's made.
Many other things out of leather I've not shown for my coon hunting.No sense in paying a high price for stuff you can make yourself very cheaply and most times more durable.Multiple things out of rawhide and tanning and making things out of fur too.
Garment leather out of brain tan and making it which is what this thread is about makes a person appreciate the fine art of what seamstress's know for sewing their seams correctly.I keep many different type needles thread and even a heavy duty singer sewing machine to serve my purpose.Beading needles of different sizes/beads of all sizes for special beadworking projects too.
It's good to get to know like minded people on the same path that are do it your selfers.
Peace  :-D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:43:51 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2021, 07:34:21 pm »
Ed, I Googled that book. They had one copy for $9.95 but another for $1500. Must be first edition.   (A)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2021, 09:40:39 pm »
Well it sounds like I maybe should of waited.....ha ha.I probably would'nt have made all the previous stuff then though.I guess if they can find a  :G to pay $1500.00 they'll take it......ha ha.
My hard covers' paper covering is a bit worn and frayed but the hard cover itself is in super shape yet.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:45:18 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2021, 11:44:28 am »
Ed, I Googled that book. They had one copy for $9.95 but another for $1500. Must be first edition.   (A)
:o Perhaps someone forgot a decimal point?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2021, 12:38:44 pm »
I just ordered a hardback copy in good condition from Thriftbooks for $7.89. Should be here in 7 to 8 days.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2021, 01:35:12 pm »

I have enough books and magazines to fill a closet myself. In the 90's i went through a gunsmithing phase. My favorite deer rifle is a custom '06 i built off a mauser action. I like to write, which is why i maintain a couple web sites. I've written a couple books which got me into publishing. https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B07NCNJYY2 If there is something new to build, I'll probably try it.
Probably my first leather project was this holster I made for my pellet pistol. I was probably 14 or 15. I hope to retire soon, so I'll have more time to head out to more of the gatherings.

A resent quiver. Had I known a bit more, I may have reversed it so the hair was inside. I just keep trying stuff to see what sticks.

This was from the good side of a pair of pants cut off for shorts (the other side had a mishap with a chainsaw)

I make fur quivers with the hair out most times out of coon,bobcat,fox.otter or coyote.
I just ordered a hardback copy in good condition from Thriftbooks for $7.89. Should be here in 7 to 8 days.
Good deal....You won't regret it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 05:41:22 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 04:23:52 am »
   Very impressive and extremely dedicated work Ed...I have made a few leather and hide pieces, nothing of this magnitude but enough to be able to appreciate your work and dedication...Always enjoy your posts
                                                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2021, 08:43:02 am »
Thanks Don.....The idea I think is to satisfy yourself with these things.I've seen some work at rendezvous's that make my work look mediocre.I can only appreciate like you said what they did too.Even more so the effort it took to make articles like these without the modern needles and thread we have nowadays.The mentoring by the old ones to children I'm sure helped immensely.
I've always been a fur and leather guy for some reason ever since I was a kid.

BowEd
Ed

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2021, 09:37:01 am »
Probably my first leather project was this holster I made for my pellet pistol.

Same here , made a holster for my Crosman 38C when I was in junior high. Still have it over half a century later in fact , though now modified for a .22 RF revolver.

Nice to meet another air gunner. I'm sure there are more air gunners here, bows and air guns seem to complement each other. Spring piston and pump up guns store and release the energy you put into them by your own muscle power much as bows do.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2021, 02:13:45 pm »
Probably my first leather project was this holster I made for my pellet pistol.

Same here , made a holster for my Crosman 38C when I was in junior high. Still have it over half a century later in fact , though now modified for a .22 RF revolver.

Nice to meet another air gunner. I'm sure there are more air gunners here, bows and air guns seem to complement each other. Spring piston and pump up guns store and release the energy you put into them by your own muscle power much as bows do.

Agreed. I have a remington summit as well. Helps keep the chipmunks out of the house.
Don

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2021, 02:42:32 pm »
My brother and I take turns with our dad's old pellet gun.  It is deadly accurate within 15-20 yards.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 09:27:40 am »
What a side track conversation.Completely 180 degrees from what this thread I started was supposed to be.
If you want to discuss modern pellet guns on small game do it on another forum.
Hijacking threads in this fashion is 1 reason why people leave these forums.They are serious about what they post and should be respected for that.A refreshing of the rules content information to participate on this forum should be done here.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:45:29 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed